Monday, January 28, 2008

1 Cor 13:4-8 (one of my favorite verses)

1 Corinthians 13:4-8 What is Love...?

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails....

Last night I sat in on a men's bible study. We read almost the entire book of 1 Corinthians. Many points were made and many verses were discussed, but we didn't get to discussing chapter 13 very much so I wanted to expand on it here.

When I think about the kind of love expressed in the passage from 1 Corinthians 1, I see a very clear picture of my wife. She most definitely loves in the manner Paul describes in his Corinthian letter. And me...? Sadly, I'm not even close to being able to love that way.

What's it going to take to bring me around...? I'm not certain. All I can do is give it to God one day at a time every single day. I definitely have the desire to love in the manner of 1 Cor 13, and God certainly has the capability to transform me. I guess the key to success is going to be me getting out of the way and just letting God be God.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord I tell You I love You every day. But my love doesn't have all the attributes listed in 1 Corinthians 13. Father God help me to achieve the kind of love that never fails.

Thank You Father for providing me such a great role model in that regard. I lift up my dear sweet wife today as she has much to do and little time to do it in. She has a big day ahead of her as she starts teaching art classes for home schooled children at a local co-op in our community.

Father God I pray blessings on Monica. Bless her time today. Bless her interaction with the young people she'll be working with this afternoon. And Father I pray similar blessings on myself as well. I'll be interacting with a large number of young people today also, Lord.

Today would be a great day for me to really start loving those around me with the kind of love that never fails. Lord Jesus that is my prayer. I give this to You. I rest on you, my King.

Lord pray these things in Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: