Friday, August 29, 2008

Attempt Great things for God; Expect Great things from God

It's no secret that I love to study the works and life stories of great men of faith throughout history. As I was reading Spurgeon's Morning Devotional for Aug 29 I came across a mention of a 'Dr William Carey'.

As I was not familiar with 'Dr Carey' I did an Internet search for him and discovered that he is regarded as the the father of the modern missionary effort. Here is a link to a synopsis of his life. It's a quick and interesting read. I am greatly inspired by the life story of this man. Clearly, he had a heart and a passion to do the Lord's work.

The title of my article this morning is a phrase he is famous for.

Attempt Great Things for God -Expect Great things from God...!

Wow... I love that. And you know what? I want to attempt great things for God. I feel a prompting that I've not been doing enough for the Lord.

In my estimation, I've been living an ordinary, mediocre, watered down christian life, hardly impacting anyone or anything around me. I take in good information all the time but I really do little more than report my findings in this blog forum.

Attempt and Expect are two very profound little words. What does attempting great things for God look like...?

I don't know.

But do know that I've got to get past the contemplative stage and get to the action plan.

Attempt means to 'physically do something'. I'm doing nothing except writing, and I know without a doubt that God expects more of me than that. But the fact that I haven't even attempted anything is not my main problem. The second half of Dr Carey's quote is where my problem lies:

EXPECT great things from God.

This is a faith issue.

The bible tells us we can do ALL THINGS through Christ who strengthens us...

ALL THINGS means pretty much ANY ATTEMPT...!

I have this feeling that I am not doing enough for the Kingdom of God. I feel that I am not even scratching the surface of what God would like for me to be doing.

Hmmm... I've got a lot of soul-searching to do....

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank you Lord for the prompting I am receiving. I am grateful that I can't sleep tonight. I love it when You awaken me in the middle of the night with a burden to pray for.

Lord in these early morning hours I just acknowledge that You are the Lord and Savior of my life. You are my King. All my allegiance is to You.

Father God I am searching for direction with what You'd have me do with my life, with my time. Help me to 'attempt great things for You'. And I'm not hung up on the 'great' part, I just want to be in the game. I'm on the sidelines right now and have been pretty much all my Christian life.

I'm also struggling with 'Expecting' great things from You. I know that's absurd to doubt You. I don't know what's wrong with me. I just know that I need help. I need you, Jesus.

Lord I just pray this morning that You would help me get my head on straight. Oh Lord that is my prayer. Lift me up from this mediocre, luke warm, below average mode of operation I currently call 'living out my faith'.

I love You Lord. And I am so grateful for the many, many blessings You have given me. I am not worthy of anything good in this world. But Your grace and mercy abound...!

Praise You Lord. Praise you Jesus...! And I pray these things in Your sweet, precious name, Amen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Sam, I appreciate your heart and your comments... Your ordering of words (perhaps intentionally reversed?), revealed a wonderful insight to me... 'expectation' is a faith word, and thus engages our Lord's enabling ability BEFORE we attempt to act (in our own strength, if unengaged). I hadn't seen this before, so thank you! 'Expect great things from God; Attempt great things for God'.