Saturday, August 02, 2008

The Foolish Man in Luke 12

The story of Luke 12:16-21 is the story of a man who worried about wealth and spent his time accumulating and saving his wealth so that he could retire comfortably. Then right as he was about to retire, God called him a fool and explained that all his work was going to go for nothing because he was going to die that very night. The man had spent his entire life pursuing things of earthly value. And when he died he had absolutely nothing of eternal value to show for his life. We don't have all the details but this man probably neglected his family because of work. He probably didn't have any friends because he was busy working all the time. He was definitely living a fleshly life because the main thing he was focused on was to be able to kick back, eat, drink, and be merry.

The message for us today is that when we strike off on our own and initiate actions with no thought of God, we are behaving like fools. If we want t0 live an eternal life we must keep our eyes on Jesus and live for HIM...!

Oh I've been a fool at many times in my life... (Including up to Right Now...) But I don't want to be a fool any longer. I want to be a follower of Jesus. And I want to keep equipping myself to be a rescuer of men's souls. And I want to make a difference in the lives of those around me every day. I believe that is what God has called me to do. And I believe that is what He has called all men and women of faith to do.

Heavenly Father,

Father God I don't want to be a foolish man one minute longer. Lord change me. Holy Spirit empower me. I love You Lord and only want to serve You. Father God I lift up my precious family to You this morning. Bless them Lord. Father I especially lift up Connor and my relationship with him to You. You can heal the hurt and the hard feelings, Lord. I know that my life will not move forward until this issue is resolved so I am placing all my energy and resources into my family.

I love You Lord. I really do. And I know I fall short of Your Glory just about every day because of sin in my life. But Lord I do repent. I don't want to sin. I don't want to have anger and negative thoughts and feelings in my heart. I'm truly sorry for my trespasses. Lord I throw myself on Your grace and mercy. And I pray these things in the power of Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: