Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Discipleship Lifestyles

November 4, 2009

Still Examining the Life of a Disciple

I am in no way trying to get legalistic, here. But what does being ‘fully surrendered, and living for Jesus’ look like…? God should be leading you in this area.

Here are a few questions for self examination:

• When you awaken, is God the FIRST thing on your mind in the morning, and do you immediately have a morning prayer moment before you even get out of bed…?

• What’s your evening routine before going to bed? Do you read scripture before dosing off to sleep?

• Do you ever pray with your spouse or a friend…?

• When someone asks you to pray for them or a situation do you stop what you are doing and pray for their need right then and there…?

• Do you visibly pray in public at a restaurant in front of people you don’t even know?

• What do you pray about? Is it a real meaningful conversation with the Lord, or just a laundry list of ‘to-do’ things for the Lord…?

• What does ‘Pray Without Ceasing’ mean and look like…?

Friends, I am in no way condemning anyone. San Chadwell is not without areas in need of improvement, I assure you. My perspective is that a life that has been fully surrendered to Jesus Christ should look vastly different from the lives of rest of the world. And that difference will be made apparent in the actions of the lifestyle of the believer.

Now, if you have to force yourself do the things I mentioned above then you are living in the flesh, trying to do stuff under your own power. These actions are not to be done out of ‘obligation’. These activities should flow from our hearts because of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. If these actions aren’t a part of your normal lifestyle, don’t panic. But I do suggest that you pray for God to work on your heart and make you more in-tune with the things that please him.

We CAN and SHOULD do everything we do for the glory of God. (1 Cor 10:31). We are called to make disciples of all men. (Matt 28:19). But to make disciples of others we have to BE a disciple, first. Being a disciple means getting in touch with God as a lifestyle.

I could go on more this morning but I try to keep my messages about the same length each day for ‘easy digestion’. Once I get to 500 words I try to wrap it up. I'm a little over quota today.

I hope everyone has a great day today. It is my wish that God richly bless you in your walk with him today!

Your Brother in Christ,

Coach Sam

No comments: