Friday, October 01, 2004

Is the Bible Relevant???

The following commentary is paraphrased from an interview with Dr Charles Stanley recently. A question posed to Dr Stanley went something like: this: The bible was written several thousand years ago. The technology and lifestyle of current day civilization is so vastly different than that of biblical times. How can present day people relate to the bible? Shouldn't we just pick and choose the few scripture verses that relate to our own particular situation and disregard the rest?

Dr Stanley responded with: The truth is, the Bible relates to every situation we face today. All of the authors wrote under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. He doesn't make mistakes, and He is always timely and eternal. The Bible applies to people in all cultures, all generations, all races, and all situations, circumstances, and social stratas. The Bible is about real people, places, and things. Archaeologists are revealing more and more about the accuracy of the Bible. The Bible is the most studied and researched book in the history of mankind, and what it says has been shown to be true again and again. The commandments of the Bible are the absolutes of God-His opinions on sin, judgment, righteousness, obedience, forgiveness, and holiness have not changed and will not change. If the devil can get you to misinterpret God's Word that addresses a particular need or situation, he knows that you are just one step closer to yielding to that temptation.

I love the teaching of Dr Charles Stanley. If you are not familiar with him check out his website. Go to http://www.intouch.org I try to wake up by at least 6 AM every day and listen to his broadcast on KHCB FM Radio 105.7 KHCB stands for 'Keeping HIM Close By'. -And that's just what it does. Monica and I just recently ordered a 10 sermon series from Dr Stanley and when I finish my series study on the use of prayer in the bible I plan to do a project based on how the Truth Really Does Set A Person Free.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord, You are so Wondrous. You Created all things. You just 'spoke' everything into existence. You created everything with a purpose. Most importantly You created man with a purpose: To know You and Love You and Worship You and tell others about You is the reason we are here on this earth. I'm sold out on You, Jesus. And I Do Believe in the bible. And I just Thank You Lord for Your Word. The bible is THE TRUTH.

Father, I try to make Fridays just about Thanks and Praise and that's one of the things I'm most thankful for: Your Word. Thank You for leaving us an instruction manual on how to live life. And Thank You Lord for inspiring great teachers like Dr Charles Stanley. You have certainly molded and shaped my life through his words of wisdom.

Lord Jesus, You have been particularly faithful to my wife and I. Thank You Lord, for giving us each other. Monica and I are a great team and we look forward to doing great things for the Glory of Your Kingdom together. Thank You for being right in the midst of my marriage all the time. We are a cord of three strands. You are our center cord, Lord. Our lives are wrapped around You.

Father, I just thank You for loving us and caring for us enough to send Jesus to prepare the path of our salvation. Lord, the only petition I have is that You bless me to know You better. That You reveal Your Truth to me in my studies quickly, Lord. And Lord that You use me in a mighty way to instruct, encourage and inspire others. I love You, Lord.

And in Jesus' Precious Name I Pray, AMEN.






No comments: