Thursday, September 30, 2004

Matthew 6:5-8

Matt 6:5-8
5 "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
(from New International Version)

I have pondered verse 5 for a long time and wondered if it applies to me. Many times I'll spend a good portion of the morning studying a particular verse and pray about it in my journal, then a few few hours later I'll be right back in my normal sin patterns. And I think what a hypocrite I am. Well one thing's for certain. I may be a hypocrite, but I surely do not seek the praise of men. (or women) I publish this journal as instruction and encouragement for my brothers and sisters in Jesus and the many out there seeking Him. And most certainly for those who don't even know they're seeking Him until they see how real God is in my Life.

Verse 6 encourages us to go into our room to pray. We should seek a 'quiet' place to be alone with God. It reminds us that God is everywhere and can see and hear us even when we are hidden away. Also, it's easier to hear God's still small voive in a quiet setting. Verse 7 says to not be too wordy. Have you ever known people who seemed to like the sound of their own voice so much that they hardly ever stopped talking? Don't over do it and be annoying to God, and don't try to impress pther when you pray. Verse 8 explains that we don't have to be so wordy because God already knows our wants and needs. Our prayers just need to be normal, every day conversation with God.

Dear Jesus,

Lord You know all things. You know my heart. You know that my motivation for this prayer journal is for your edifiction and not the praise of man. But Lord, I am a hypocrite when I continue to follow my normal sin patterns. Father, please forgive me for wronging you. Help me break free form the bondage of these sins. And help me to forgive others when they wrong me, too. I will not hold grudges because I do not want anyone to hold a grudge against me. Protect my witness, Lord. Allow it to draw others closer to You.

Thank You for another day to love and serve You. I give this day to You, Jesus. Show me and enable me to serve You better. Thank You for my sweet wife who is already hard at work completing an art project this morning. Bless her and her efforts. I pray that more people come to You because of her and her art work ministry. She rightly gives You all the praise, honor, and glory for her art talent. She is such an inspiration to me. Thank You, Lord.

Father, I am grateful and thankful for all your blessings. Just thank You for loving me like You do. I love You, too!

In Your Holy Name I pray, Amen.


No comments: