Sunday, January 30, 2005

Prayer for the Iraqi Elections and America

I've been thinking a lot about the Iraqi elections and what they mean on a global scale. I hope and pray that God's will be done in these elections and that this is a shining example to the world that democracy works. I'm not certain what the total count of dead US soldiers is right now, but I understand that the number of Iraqi dead through out this war is staggering. I'm wondering what the average life expectancy of an Iraqi policeman is...? The point of all this is that to get to this point in Iraqi history, many have given the ultimate sacrifice.

This war has already been very costly in terms of human life. While I know that this election is not the cure all for the situation, it is a step in what I believe is the right direction.

My wife and I were discussing this yesterday. We're just concerned that these first elected Iraqi officials will become martyrs. I especially want to pray this morning for their safety and the safety of their families.

Dear Heavenly Father, Lord I know that your hand is in the Iraqi elections. I pray Lord for your protection over the entire proceedings. I pray that the 'right' officials get elected. And I pray for the safety of those officials and their families.

Last night I took my wife to the movies for a date. I didn't have to worry about some crazed fanatic strapping a bomb to himself and blowing up the theater. But I know that in other pockets of the world that behavior like that is almost common place. Father I thank you for peace in America. You have blessed this country like no other. And as such it is our duty to look out for the rest of the world. And it is certainly our duty and obligation to offer up prayers for others less fortunate than ourselves.

So Lord, I pray for the poor Iraqi people. I pray for their salvation. I pray that they come to know and love the True God, Jesus Christ. And Father I pray for the American people. I pray that we stop taking our liberty and freedom for granted. I pray for the unity of America. I pray that we would truly become one nation under God.

Heavenly Father, This world needs You. We are so desperately in need of a Savior. Divine Protector, Heavenly Creator, keep smiling on America. Keep blessing us, leading us, drawing us closer to you.

I love You Lord. I feel so fortunate to be in the situation that I am in. I'm not suffering. I'm not hungry. I'm not persecuted. I'm not in fear for my life. And I have free access to the bible and the opportunity to worship you any way I please. Oh Lord, I pray that I never take any of that for granted.

Father God, Thank you for these blessings. And thank you for the ultimate blessing, Your gift of Salvation which was purchased at such a great price. Lord Jesus I pray these things in your holy name, Amen!

No comments: