Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Prayer for Daddys...

I've been reading a good book I got at church on Father's Day. It's called the Dad in The Mirror.

So far it's been great... I highly recommend it... Two profound statements it's made so far is:

1. The Goal of a father is to disciple the heart of a child to love God and others.

2. Christianity is not about behavior modification, it's about heart transformation.

My daddy wasn't around very much as I was growing up. He was always either off working somewhere, or when he was home he mainly rested from working. Looking back on it, I think it was a very pathetic existence. I know my dad was just doing what he thought he needed to do... And he DID at least provide an existence for us. But my dad didn't have a personal relationship with the Lord. And if he had, I think he would have approached everything differently.

I don't know if he had any 'parenting goals'... I don't know if he had any goals at all. We certainly didn't have any goals as a family. Looking back, it doesn't seem that he was overly concerned with the transformation of my heart. -And I hate to be so hard on my dad. But I definitely didn't become the man I am because of my dad. It was in spite of him.

I determined at an early age that I did not want to continue the track that my parents were on.

Actually, because of the kind of childhood I had, I never really wanted to be a dad. -Until I met Monica.... Now I'm happy to be a dad. I'm looking forward to it, actually. Monica and I are going to be a great mom and dad team...!

Today I want to lift up daddys every where...

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord, thank You for my childhood. It wasn't ideal, yet it shaped and molded me. Thank You for all the Godly influences I've had in my life. I'm so looking forward to raising Connor and Elijah to be Godly men.

Father God, I pray for myself and daddys everywhere today. Help us know you better and raise our children in your image. Lord I seek You and Your divine will for my life and the lives of my family. I lift up my sweet wife to You also, Lord. She has a big day tomorrow...!

Father I love You and I give this day to You. In Jesus' Name I pray, Amen.

No comments: