Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Commentary Regarding Personal Prayer Life

Way back when I started this prayer journal several years ago on AOL Journals Monica and I were members at a church inside the 610 loop in Central Houston. We joined that church in the midst of a bitter division between two factions. The church hadn't had a pastor for a year and was currently utilizing a temporary interim pastor. In spite of how terrible that sounds, it was a good experience in that we did meet some dear Christian people who we are still close to now. And my prayer life really blossomed as a response to the stimulus of the situation at that church.

Back in October, 2003 I started that blog for the men of that church. I wanted it to be a prayer ministry that would bring fractured parties closer together. My plan was to organize the men to pray for each other and the church. I wanted to establish a system where the church staff and it's members and the surrounding community were lifted up in prayer every minute of the day, 24 hours a day.

My plan never got completely off the ground as the two factions just would not come to agreement with each other. In the end, many people left the church, including Monica and myself.

Two years later the church has a new pastor and is doing better now. I still pray for that church. And I want to lift them up today. And I thank God for that turbulent time in mine and Monica's spiritual lives because during that time I really felt my calling to intercessory prayer. It was during that time when I really started praying in earnest for things other than those that effected just myself and my immediate family.

What got me thinking about all this was a radio program I heard on Christian Radio yesterday. The topic was prayer and the speaker commented that very few Christians who pray ever get past the mode of praying for themselves and their needs and the needs of their family and possibly the needs of other Christians. The speaker then asked a poignant question: How many of us pray for the souls of the lost...? I mean how many really pray for the lost every day...? How many spend concentrated time praying for the lost, unsaved souls in this world...?

For some reason that brought me back to square one thinking about my own prayer life. I feel called to pray for others. Many people from all over the country now send me prayer requests every day. And I pray for them. And I see evidences of God's Glory nearly every day in the form of answered prayer.

Where am I going with all of this...? I'm just asking everyone who reads this blog today to examine their own prayer life and ask God to show them what he would have them pray for.

Draw closer to God and he will absolutely draw closer to You. That's a promise from the bible...!

Let us pray:

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord, prayer is such a gift. Thank You for allowing us the privilege to communicate wth You in such an intimate way. Thank You for listening. Thank You for the answered prayers and thank You for the unanswered prayers, too. Because we don't always know what's right for us, But You've got everything in a perfect plan for our lives.

I know You have a plan and a will for my prayer life, Jesus. And I just ask that You reveal to me what it is You would have me pray for today and in the weeks and months to come. Lord Jesus You are such a wonderful and awesome God. I love You, Lord. I thank and praise You for my blessings. I give this day to You, Jesus. And I pray these things in Your Holy Name,

Amen.

No comments: