Thursday, August 03, 2006

More on Eternal Life...

As You know, I've been conducting a discussion series on eternal life. This morning, Dr Stanley's morning devotional very succintly describes this topic. I have cut and pasted his article in it's entirety for your information....!

Eternal Life: You Can Be Sure
1 John 5:13

Welcome to the In Touch Devotional. In writing to the early church, the apostle John wanted to make something perfectly clear: God offers His children everlasting life. In Christ, men and women should have no fear of physical death. Their true lives—their eternal lives—are secure in Jesus.

First John 5:13 is a unique Scripture passage. In it, John plainly states his purpose for writing. The point of his entire ministry was to empower believers with the unshakable faith of eternal life in Christ.

The basis for this foundational truth lies in the unchanging promises of God. Over and over in his gospel and letters, the apostle declares God’s assurance of never-ending life. For example, he quotes Jesus’ promise of eternity in John 3:16, 6:37, and 10:27-30.

The unconditional love of God is another reason we can trust in eternal life. Our Heavenly Father loves us so much that He wants an everlasting, intimate relationship with each one of us. To accomplish this, He demonstrated His love in a remarkable way… by providing our salvation at a great price. (Romans 5:6-11; 8:33-39)

The finished work of Christ on the cross is another basis for belief in eternal life. By offering His life as a sacrifice on our behalf, Jesus provided the means of salvation once and for all. Our part is to accept the gift He so freely gives. (Hebrews 10:23-28)

Finally, the witness of God’s Spirit to our hearts should empower us with an unshakeable faith in everlasting life. Our Heavenly Father places His Holy Spirit within every believer to testify to the truth of our salvation. (Romans 8:15-17)

Scripture tells us we can have complete assurance of our salvation in Jesus Christ. Does your day-to-day life reflect this confidence?


Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord thank You for the wisdom of Dr Stanley. He makes the bible so easy to understand...! Father God, I pray today that someone reading this commentary today will have their life transformed. Lord I pray that You continue to transform my life.

Father, there are so many out there who are living their lives just existing. I have been one of those people, and I still slip back into that rut every now and then. But Lord the whole reason we are here is to glorify You. We are called to live lives that make a difference. And what could make more difference than spreading the word about salvation and what happens to us when we die...?

Death is NOT the end... And since it's not, then how we live our lives in the here and now really matters. I pray that this concept is clearly illuminated in my journal the next few days...!

I sing Your praises my King. I worship You, Lord. You are my Savior and Redeemer. Jesus, I love You...! And I give this day to you, Lord. Father I pray that I honor You in thought, word, and deed today. Let me be a witness, Lord. Bless my efforts, Jesus.

And I pray these things in Your precious holy name, Amen.

No comments: