Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Paul's Prayer for the Ephesians

Ephesians 3:14-21 (New American Standard Bible)

...I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever, Amen.


Paul's missionary journeys took him far and wide. His task, appointed by God was to preach to the gentiles. By the way, if you're not from a Jewish family then you are a gentile. -I am considered a gentile. Most of you reading this commentary are probably gentiles.

In his letter to the Ephesians Paul explains in Ephesians 3:6 that the gentiles are fellow heirs in the Promise of Christ, meaning that gentiles could go to heaven if they had faith in Christ. In the passage above he was praying for the Ephesian church.

Paul prayed for God to strengthen the saints with power from the glorious riches found in Christ through the Holy Spirit. When we want to act on someone else's behalf, the most powerful thing we can do is pray.

Today I'd like to lift up a fellow brother in Christ who has also agreed to partner with me in prayer for my needs and the needs of my family.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord You are an Awesome and Glorious God. You never cease to look after the needs of Your children. Lord You always listen to my prayer. Thank you Father for that blessing.

Father God I want to thank You for my dear friend, brother Bruce. He is a Godly man with a family just like myself. He has struggles just like me. He is plagued with busyness, and the evil one, the enemy, is always on the prowl near by, trying to trip him up.

But Bruce loves You, Lord. And he wants to do right by You, to honor You in all his ways all of the time, just as I do.

Lord Jesus, I stand in the gap for Bruce and his precious family this morning and every morning from now on. I know he is standing in the gap for me and mine. Bless him, Father God. Protect him. Help Bruce to be everything You have called him to be: a Godly daddy and husband, a man of faith, a man of healing, and a community leader. Draw him close to You. Deliver him from evil, my King. I lift him up to You, my Lord and Savior. Thank you for Bruce, his family, and what they stand for, Lord.

Father this is my prayer for myself and my family, too. I love you, Lord. And I give this day to You. And I pray these things in the power of Your holy name, Jesus Christ, Amen.




No comments: