Tuesday, January 02, 2007

A Study of Proverbs

I'm going to be doing an independent study of the book of Proverbs the next 3 months. What does it mean to do an independent study...?

Well, 'independent' means I'm doing the study by myself. No one else is studying with me. And what exactly is a 'study'...?

Well, a 'study' involves reading a certain passage or verse many times. It involves quiet time and reflection time. It involves looking up background information on the passage or verse. You pretty much ask who, what, where, when, how, and why about every word. A study may also involve looking up how the word was translated from the original Greek or Hebrew text.

By the end of this study I'd like to be able to give a brief summary of every Proverb and I'd like to have a verse memorized from each Proverb. I'm basically going to focus on one or two Proverbs every day and try to go through all 31 Proverbs at least four or five times over the next 3 months.

Proverbs 1 Key Memory Verse:

"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction..." -Proverbs 1:7

Summary of Proverbs 1:

When we start with the Truth of God we reflect on His holiness, power, love, wisdom and goodness. We build on an unchanging reality that provides us with a firm foundation for life.


Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord at the start of this study I think it is very appropriate to just thank You for the bible. Father I believe that the bible is the divinely inspired word of God. I am ashamed that I am forty-one years old and have yet to read the bible completely through and know as little as I do about the greatest book ever written.

Father God, I pray blessings on this study ahead of me. Help me to know You more completely, Father. Lord I pray to gain the wisdom of Proverbs.

Lord as I sit here I am watching the procession of the funeral of President Gerald R Ford. I thank You for Him. He was a good and wise President who loved You. He stood for many fine attributes like honor, loyalty and courage. Father I lift up his family. I pray for strength and comfort for his dear wife Nancy whom he loved and deeply cherished. I pray for his four children.

In life President Ford was an inspiration. And his memory continues to inspire even in death. Father God I pray that You raise up more strong leaders like Gerald Ford.

Lord, I love You. I give this day to You. Father I pray that I honor You with all my actions today. I pray for a blessing over my time management. There is so much that I need to get done dear Lord. Help me to prioritize and complete my responsibilities with due diligence.

Lastly Lord, I lift up my sweet wife. She is under the same time restraints for workload as I am, maybe even more. She is an awesome wife and mother. I thank You for her and pray blessings on her day.

Father God, I pray these things in Your Holy Name, Amen.

No comments: