Friday, April 27, 2007

Another New Study

OK... I'm famous for starting studies and then not completing them.

I started an independent study of Proverbs earlier this year and I'm still on Proverbs Seven or Eight. I started to do a study of the Lord's Prayer with my Sunday School Class a few months ago and only made it through the first week. In the past five years I've started the Forty Day of Purpose study several times and only made it as far as day 25. Here recently I started a men's group study with our church about the Character of the Man God Uses and got bogged down at the end of the first week. There have been other studies Like 'When Godly People do Ungodly Things'., and a Beth Moore Study of the book of Daniel... Not to mention my plan to read the bible cover to cover at least once every year...


Sigh... These are all worthwhile studies and projects. I get started on them and then life seems to get in the way. I'll have an interruption here, an emergency there. Someone will get sick or hurt (including me...). We'll have company over. There's a myriad of excuses and reasons for me to get off track.

But I was just thinking this morning, what would happen if God took me out today...? What would happen if I had to give an account for my life and how I spent my time...? What if there were a written or oral test on what I knew about the Bible that determined my rank or even my entrance into heaven...?

All my excuses for not completing those above mentioned studies are going to sound very lame to God.

Here's God's Perspective... He suffered and died on the cross for me. He sent Kings, prophets, and apostles before and after His time on earth to help prepare the way. I live in a time and era where there is more information known about Jesus, heaven, hell, the bible, than ever before because of great men and women of faith who have come before me. God would remind me that he gave me my beautiful wife who's life has been totally transformed because she completes these studies. God would remind me that he sent Glenn to inspire me, and Steve to motivate and disciple me. And what did I do...? I dropped the ball to put it in sports terms. I double faulted to put it in tennis terms.

I think if I was taken away today I would be judged very harshly for wasting so much time and for not knowing more than I know. I would be judged harshly for not being disciplined and completing all those studies. I would be judged harshly for not having my priorities in order.

I can only conclude that God would not be happy with me or my spiritual life. He would look at this prayer journal and say... HA...! I think God would tell me that I was not focused enough.

Maybe I am being a little hard on myself, but then again maybe not. The road that leads to heaven is a narrow road. The point is I know I can do better. I can give God MORE of my time. And it can be more QUALITY time than I've been giving Him previously.

Let me just say right here that of all the studies I previously mentioned WILL be completed. (Lord Willing...)

AND....

Believe it or not, I have started a new study. It's about improving communication skills. I'm doing this one with Monica and Connor. So far it's emphasized scriptures that describe the power and sharpness of the tongue. It's been exploring how the tongue can be used to edify and/or tear down. More on this study later.

Dear Heavenly Father,

I know that for me to accomplish anything I need to surrender to You. And I need to surrender daily. I need to surrender moment by moment. It's when I try to do things MY way under My own power, I fail miserably and am sorely disappointed.

I don't want to find myself giving an account to You for all these studies I never completed. I want to complete them and grow in You and be the most effective witness for Your Kingdom that I can be.

I tell You every day how much I love you Lord, and I do... But I know my actions and life style do not always reflect my words. Forgive me Father. Give me Grace and Mercy.

Father God, I give this day to You. Everything I do and say today will be done and said in Your Name for Your Glory.

Lord I ask a special blessing on my precious wife, Monica and I thank You and praise You for her presence in and influence on my life. She is a great help mate to me and I love and cherish her. I ask special blessings on Connor and Elijah as well. I consider them also to be precious gifts entrusted by You.

Father God today I also want to lift up my business partner, Tony. I recognize a great opportunity to witness my relationship with You before Tony. I pray that I make the most of this opportunity.

Lord Jesus, Thank You for dying on the cross for my sins. I love You Lord. And I pray these things in the power of the blood that was shed for me.

Amen.

No comments: