Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Getting Back on Track with THE STUDY

This happens to me all the time. I start off on fire for some study and get side tracked. Well, I was writing about self discipline the other day with regard to athletic training and I need to go ahead and apply those self-discipline techniques to my own spiritual walk.

However, before I dive back in to the study, I would like to further discuss a sort of uneasy-ness in my heart about my post yesterday.

All that 'self-discipline' talk sounds like I am advocating a person achieving mastery over one's self will through their own personal, sheer determination. (self-determination)

I do want to clear the air that if a person tries to do it completely on their own apart from God then they will most assuredly fail. We must ask the Lord Jesus Christ to come into our hearts and help us. Remember the famous words of the apostle Paul:

'...I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me...!' -Philippians 4:13

OK, that being said, let's get on with wrapping up the character qualities of a Godly man whom God uses. There are eight listed in the study. We have already focused on Holiness: t0 be set apart and separate. The next is a Pure Heart.

Pure means to be singular in substance, without any imperfections or impurities. A pure heart is committed to Christ first and foremost. '...Blessed are the pure in heart for they will see God...' Matthew 5:8

Mr Blackaby also uses Psalm 24:4 to illustrate his point. He says if we want God to reveal himself to us and see HIM clearly we must approach HIM with 'clean hands and a pure heart'.

The book of Samuel also speaks of the importance of one's heart and explains that outward appearances may be deceiving, but God looks to the heart. -1 Samuel 16:7.

The next Character Trait of the Man God uses is a 'Contrite' Heart. -Contrite means to be 'humble and repentant before God. I like how Mr Blackaby describes this next part: he further describes a contrite heart as 'crushed by a sense of guilt and sin'...

Activity/Exercise/Question: According to Psalm 34:18 and Psalm 51:16-17, what results in having a broken heart over your sin or the sins of others...?

Coach Sam's Answer: When a person has a broken and contrite heart the Lord is near to them. He truly cares when are hearts are broken.

Mr Blackaby says: God can take a heart that was once hardened and rebellious and use circumstances to make it moldable and submissive. Without broken-ness we become indifferent to God and the needs of others. A proud heart exalts self and promotes independence from God. THIS IS SIN...!

Activity/Exercise/Question: What is the holy spirit saying to You right now concerning your heart...? Have you ever experienced a broken heart because of your sin or the sin of others...? Is there pride in your life that has limited what God can do with you...?

Coach Sam's Answer: Most assuredly, the Holy Spirit is convicting me right now about my heart. I have most definitely experienced a broken heart in the past resulting from my sins AND the sins of others. And Yes, as much as I would like to deny it there IS pride in my life limiting my effectiveness for use in God's Kingdom.

Focusing on Psalm 51:1-2 and 10-12 as a Personal Prayer:

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord I do come before You this morning with a broken, contrite heart and humbly ask forgiveness. I pray that (1) all my iniquity will be washed and cleansed away. (2) That You will create a pure heart in me. (3) That You will renew a steadfast spirit within me. Please (4) restore the joy of my salvation within me and (5) grant me a willing spirit.

Father God I love you and seek You right here, right now this very moment.

In Jesus' name, Amen.


Another Character Trait of a Godly Man is: Fear of God

Fear brings a sense of awe and reverence toward God. Biblical fear can also refer to a sense of terror or dread when facing God's judgement. Mr Blackaby cites that a lack of fear demonstrates a lack of understanding of who God is and what He is able to do.

This study is to be continued....

No comments: