Monday, April 02, 2007

The Man God Uses

Today I have a praise report. Our church had a men's breakfast yesterday and there were approximately 16 men in attendance. Brother Bob Coburn announced the start of a new men' s bible study, and Pastor Dave gave a very compelling mini sermon. It was a very good event. I hope we have more opportunities for fellowship like that one.

This evening Brother Bob kicks off his new bible study. It's called 'The Man God Uses', and it's written by Henry Blackaby, a noted Christian author. Because of my work schedule I won't be able to attend many of the Monday evening group studies, but I do plan to follow along with an in dependant study of my own.

First off, without even cracking open the book, I have to say that I am drawn to this study simply because of it's title. -I want to be a man God uses...!

My routine time table for this study will be late night and early morning. Typically I'll read through the days lesson the evening before I go to bed. I'll pray about the lesson, then literally 'sleep on it'. Then I'll awaken the next day, pray about it again, and dive into the study first thing before I do any other project for my day.

Since I want my relationship with God to be my number one priority above all other things I feel it is important to start my day each and every day with quiet time with HIM. God is the Creator of the Universe. HE is the Author of all things. HE secured my eternal salvation by sacrificing HIS beloved son on a cross for my Sins.

I want to know HIM more and I definitely want to be the man HE uses in HIS Kingdom plans.

One of the great men of the bible and biblical authors was David, son of Jesse. (He's also the David who slew Goliath)

David was the author of most of Psalms in the bible. In Psalm 15 he wrote about the 'Character' of the man God uses.

In verse 1 David poses the question of WHO may have a relationship with God and live with HIM for ever...? Verses 2-5 describes the characteristics of that person.

Verse 2 says:
This man walks uprightly, works righteousness, and speaks truth in his heart.

Verse 3 says:
This man does not backbite or say bad things about his neighbor.

Verse 4 says:
This man despises vile, evil men and honors other men like himself who walk with the Lord and reverence God.

Verse 5 says:
This man is wise with money. He does not lend money and expect payment back, nor does he accept bribes.

The psalm concludes by saying that the man who has all the above mentioned characteristics will dwell in the house of the Lord forever and will not be shaken or moved.

David had all these characteristics. God referred to him as a 'Man after God's own heart'.

Author Henry Blackaby says:

'...The development of a strong Christian character is the development of a man after God's own heart...Character is who you are when no one is looking and what you stand for when someone IS looking...Strong Christian character is both the result of human effort and divine intervention....It is the work of God as you relate to Him in love...Strong Christian character is the result of your heart's desires to obey God...

Exercise: Think About/Pray About... -Two people in my life who show consistency between their actions and their inner convictions.

The first person who comes to my mind as a Godly role model is my spiritual mentor Steve Clark. Steve is currently finishing up as student at Dallas Theological Seminary. Back in 2003 He spent the entire year disciplining me on growing my faith and helping me improve my personal relationship with God. He showed me exactly what constitutes the characteristics of a Godly man by being a godly man to me day in and day out. If there were ever a man that God has used in my life, it's Steve.

The second person in my life who shows consistency between his actions and his inner convictions is Dr Charles Stanley. Although I have never met Dr Stanley personally I do feel I now him from listening to hundreds of his radio and television sermons over the years. He has touched my heart, informed me, and inspired me like no other man has ever done.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank You Lord for this study. I pray that it touches the hearts of many men at FBC West Columbia. I pray that lives are drastically changed, Lord.

Thank You for Brother Bob Coburn, his leadership, and for the strong Christian presence he projects in our church. He is a man we can all look up to. I am very grateful for Brother Bob. Father God, I pray You bless Brother Bob an all the men under his discipleship. Bless their meeting this evening, Lord.

Of course, thank You for other great men of faith like Steven Clark and Dr Charles Stanley. And thank you Lord for Pastor Dave and what he stands for. I lift him up to you today as well.

Lord I love You. It is my heart's desire to serve You and honor You with my life. Father God, I have such a good life, and I know that I do not deserve all these blessings. Thank You for providing me with an awesome wife and precious family. Thank You for a fulfilling career. And thank You for the opportunity to serve You right here in West Columbia, Texas.

Lord Jesus, most of all thank You for the promise of eternal salvation made possible by Your supreme sacrifice. I pray these things in Jesus' Name,

Amen.
'

No comments: