Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Qualities of Good Character

Today's discussion is the third installment of a study called: The Man God Uses. The authors are noted christian writers Henry and Tom Blackaby. This morning we're taking a look at the qualities of 'good character'.

Mr Blackaby opens the study session by listing eight qualities of good character:
  • Holiness
  • A Pure Heart
  • A Contrite Heart
  • Fear of God
  • Faithfulness
  • Obedience
  • Seeks and Loves the Lord
  • Servant of the Lord

What is Holiness...? What does it mean...?

Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord Almighty. The whole earth is full of his glory. Isaiah 6:3

Holiness means to be set apart and separate. The Lord God is most definitely set apart and separate. There is no other like him. We are called to be separate from the world.

Now, what is 'The World'....?

The world is everything around us that stains us and dirties our lives: sinful thoughts, destructive emotions, unclean images, impure motives, and questionable activities.

We were born IN the world, but we are commanded to NOT be OF the world.

Mr Blackaby explains that we can not make ourselves holy. We can become holy only through the power of Christ and the working of the Holy Spirit in our lives. Through a pure and clean life we reveal the reality of holy God in our lives.

Coach Sam's Thoughts: When I look at my life before I accepted Christ and my life now as a dedicated follower of the Lord, there is no comparison. Although It must be noted that after I accepted Christ I didn't just automatically turn into a mature christian. Honestly, once I had accepted Christ as my Savior back nearly twenty years ago, there were still numerous occasions where I was swallowed up by the world. Praise the Lord, my christian walk has been much more steady in recent years and I've been able to fight the world off lately. Still, I know I am no where near where I should be spiritually for having known the TRUTH for so long. Yet, the more I look back at my life I can honestly say that the holy spirit really has done a remarkable work in my life. And is continuing to transform me. I can already see that in just three sessions this study is already impacting me greatly.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord, You are holy. You are high and lifted up. You are Glorious in all Your Splendor. Father God, You have called me to holy. You want all Your children to be separate and set apart from the ways of the world.

Lord I pray that I measure up to Your standards today. Father I want to present my life as a living testimony to the power of Your influence. Father I want to provoke the world to jealousy. I want to honor You in everything I say, do, and think. But Lord, the battle of the mind is a difficult battle to win. I have trouble keeping my thoughts as they should be.

I frequently have negative thoughts. At times I am about as far from holy as one can get. But Lord the bible says that all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God. The bible also says than NO ONE is worthy of going to dwell in heaven on their own merit.

That's why Sam Chadwell needs YOU, my King. I love you Lord and I give this day to You.

Once again I thank You for this study and pray these things in Your precious holy name, Amen.

No comments: