Friday, January 25, 2008

Spurgeon: Put Away Your Pity Party!

Charles Spurgeon lived and died over 100 years ago. But his devotion's are timeless and relevant in any time period. I love the language of his time. Even though it was originally written in English, the English of Spurgeon's time could almost be considered a foreign language today.

My title for my morning meditation today is most definitely a para-phrase...

The bible verse for Spurgeon's morning devotion today is Isaiah 63.7

To make it short and to the point, the scripture beckons us to remember everything that the Lord has done for us in our life time. Spurgeon asks pointed questions like:

...there must surely be some precious milestone along the road of life not quite grown over with moss, on which thou canst read a happy memorial of His mercy towards thee? What, didst thou never have a sickness like that which thou art suffering now, and did He not restore thee? Wert thou never poor before, and did He not supply thy wants? Wast thou never in straits before, and did He not deliver thee? Arise, go to the river of thine experience, and pull up a few bulrushes, and plait them into an ark, wherein thine infant-faith may float safely on the stream. Forget not what thy God has done for thee; turn over the book of thy remembrance, and consider the days of old.

-from Spurgeon's Morning and Evening, January 25


It's easy for me to get wrapped up in the here and now and become discouraged. But looking back on my life there are many, many instances of intervention and restoration from God. We all need to 'turn over the book of thine remembrance and consider the days of old...' from time to time.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank You for today, my King. And Lord thank You for all the workings in my life over the years. You have always been there for me, even before I knew You. Thank You Father for drawing me ever closer to You.

Thank You Lord for my sweet wife Monica, and her constant witness. Thank You for my family, Lord. Father God thank You for my troubles. With no troubles would I be drawing so closely to you this very moment? It's doubtful. Looking back into the days of my remembrance I did not do so well with prosperity, did I...? Thank you for the lessons I am learning today, my King.

Jesus, I submit to you. I am under your complete authority, Lord. I pray for my heart to be changed, Lord. Help me to love those who would hurt me. Help me to forgive past wrongs. Drive all forms of bitterness out of me, Lord. Let nothing remain but Your love, kindness, mercy, and compassion.

Lord I love You. And I pray these things in the power of Your Holy Name, Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: