Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Haggai...Speaking to me...

I read through Haggai last week and received a stern message from God. The inspiring text is Haggai 1:2-11. God reveals through Haggai to Judah that He is not happy that the people have spent all their time taking care of their own needs and not making it a priority to rebuild the temple. God says that everyone is too wrapped up in their own lives, building their own houses. Because of their disobedience God cursed them with a drought on their land and prosperity.

In verse 7 of chapter 1 God says: 'CONSIDER YOUR WAYS...' When I looked really closely at Haggai's message to Judah I could see myself as Judah. It's me who has been disobedient. I am the one who is full of pride and wrapped up in things not of God. And I am the one who is experiencing a drought in his own life. (spiritual and otherwise) Sadly, I am the one who is making my family endure that drought because of my own disobedience.

In the story of Haggai the people DID consider their ways. Verse 1:12 says the people heard the Lord and obeyed. And in verse 1:13 the Lord Said: 'I am with You'.

So God's people repented and all was well.

I am currently in the process of repenting. Oh how I long to hear the Lord say, I am with you, Sam. I think lots of things need to happen in my own life before I am going to hear those words. But I'm on it. Recognition is definitely the first step.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Oh Lord there is a drought going on around me because of how I have lived my life up to this point. I want to change, Lord. Father God I need help, though. I need you. Help me in the area of Faith. Help me in the area of Pride. Help me in the area of Forgiveness.

Oh Lord I am so unworthy of anything Good. But Lord I ask for help not on my own behalf, but for the sake of my family.

Lord, like Judah I have considered my ways. I repent, Lord. Please Father, let me hear those words: I am with You.

I love you, Lord and I am throwing myself upon Your tender mercy. Thank You Lord for being such a forgiving God. Lord I am a changed man this morning. I am a new creation in You. I know this walk is not easy, and I can not make the journey on my own. But Father God I will press on under Your power, in Your protection. And I will be victorious.

Thank You and Praise You, Lord. And in Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

1 comment:

Judy Ohlemacher said...

Sam, you have made a wonderfully freeing decision. Now the hard part is leaving these things at the foot of God's throne and begin living as if today is the first day of your newly dedicated life. You must not look back. Instead, "kEEP YOUR EYES ON THE PRIZE".