Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Brokenness and Yielding

I have to admit that this morning when I clicked on Dr Stanley's eaely light devotion this morning it was with great anticipation because very frequently his messages pertain exactly to my life circumstance. Today's was an amazing post that fit my situation and feelings exactly.

Dr Stanley's message this morning was about 'broken-ness'.

Humans are born “bent away” from the Lord. Our natural inclination is to please and serve self, which is the opposite of a Godhonoring lifestyle. When we become believers, our Father begins to bend our will and ways back towards Him. But we must cooperate with Him and yield to the process; otherwise, we are of little use to the kingdom.

The Lord wants to eradicate every thought pattern and activity promoting dependency on anything other than Him. This means that relying on oneself to attain security, salvation, or physical and emotional comfort are outside His will. Actions that advance a person at the expense of others are also ungodly.

In areas where we resist bending toward the Lord, He may break us by allowing pain into our life. As a result, we are driven to Him in surrender. To break a person may sound harsh, but God does this work in love. He sees beyond the hurt to the outcome—we will be more mature and faithful servants for having walked through trial. And our loving Father takes each hard step with us, offering guidance and comfort. Seeing the benefits He has brought about through my hardships, I can honestly thank Him for every period of brokenness I’ve experienced (Romans 8:28).

The truth is that we all have areas of selfishness that need to be bent or broken by God’s hand. When we honestly look inward to discover wrong habits and thought patterns, our heavenly Father will bring them to mind. Then, we must surrender to His work so we can become wise and useful servants.

Dr Charles Stanley's Early Light Devotional February 4, 2008

I very seldom quote such a long passage, but every word of Dr Stanley's message this morning is 'pure gold' as far as I'm concerned...! And my wife and I were discussing this very topic last night. We are definitely being 'broken' right now. Well, I perceive it's myself that's being broken and poor Monica is just along for the ride because she married me.

I have so many wrong habits and bad thought patterns that I don't even know where to begin except the way I began my day today: On my knees...

As I have been mentioning lately, my wife and I are taking a course on spiritual gifts and I am learning just how incredibe the Holy Spirit is and stand amazed at how the Holy Spirit has worked in the lives of Believers down through the ages. And the fact is that the Holy Spirit could work signs, miracles and wonders in my life too if I would only straighten my ways.

I do still perceive that something 'BIG is about to happen. I think it is really, really close. The Holy Spirit is just waiting for me to finally get my act together so I can be fully used by HIM.

Lord in Heaven,

I do thank You for these hardships in my life that draw me ever closer to You. I ask that You search me Lord and show me exactly what to change and then help me to do it...! Father God I want to honor You in everything I do. I don't want to bring judgement upon those I love.

Lord I've never been more focused on You than this very moment. I love You Lord. And I yield in broken-ness to You this morning, my King.

Help me Lord, Have Mercy on Me oh Lord I pray.

In Jesus's name I pray, Amen.

No comments: