Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Today's Breakfast Bar: James 4:7-10

I still haven't worked out Pastor Cere's message in practical application to my life yet. I have most definitely got to make some serious changes in my life style so I can spend more time in The Word. My problem: Too Busy...

Today's Dr Charles Stanley Early Light Devotional used a short passage chock full of spiritual nuggets that addresses that issue: James 4:7-10

I love the command style of these verses. They are simple little formulas for success. If you do this, then that happens. These are also known as cause and effect relationships.

Here's James' formula for success: Submission.

Submit therefore to God = Resist the Devil and He flees. When we give our lives to Jesus the Devil can take no authority over us.

Draw near to God and He will draw near to You.

What does drawing near to God look like? It looks like this:
  • Do not sin...
  • Having a pure heart...
  • Ridding ourselves of double mindedness, focusing only on God.
  • Being repentant for our sins...
  • Humbling ourselves. God opposes the proud.

Wow... I could stand improvement in all those areas. But you know what? If I try to make any of those improvements under my own power, I will fail. I'm certain of that. And why am I so certain? Because I've been failing my entire life trying to do it my way, under my own power...

The very first part of today's scripture phrase is the Key: Submit to God.

Submit...

Submit = submission = surrender.

Surrender means giving up something. Dr Stanley used the phrase: 'Total Surrender'. That's giving up EVERYTHING.

My prayer today is simple:

Lord,

Help me to give up everything. Help me to be TOTALLY in You. No more double-mindedness. Today, by Your grace, I really am once again a new creature...!

Now, I finally take total authority over this busyness that has plagued me for years. I bind it up and cast it aside. I feel the power of the Holy Spirit moving within me..! Praise You Lord of Lords!

Father, I love You. I give this day to You. Eveerything I do today is in Your Name, precious Jesus.

Amen.

No comments: