Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Something Spurgeon said....

I am quite familiar with Charles Hadden Spurgeon's Morning and Evening Devotionals. I am somewhat less familiar with another of his devotional works: Faith's Checkbook. I did a web search for the title and came across a very interesting website which I will take time to explore more thoroughly at a later date.

I was so impressed by the forward of Faith's Checkbook that I have added a potion of it to the title bar of this blog. Here is an excerpt from the Forward of Spurgeon's Daily Devotional: Faith's Check Book...

- My brethren, God is good. He will not forsake you: He will bear you through. There is a promise prepared for your present emergencies; and if you will believe and plead it at the mercy-seat through Jesus Christ, you shall see the hand of the LORD stretched out to help you. Everything else will fail, but His word never will. He has been to me so faithful in countless instances that I must encourage you to trust Him. I should be ungrateful to God and unkind to you if I did not do so...

-CH Spurgeon


Wow... Few preachers I know speak as plainly as that... When I read that forward I really felt like I was in the same room with Spurgeon. (In a way, I was...)

Just that little excerpt is encouraging, isn't it...? You definitely owe it to yourself to read the entire forward, and some of the dailys, too.

I love that Spurgeon equated his devotions as merely 'a snack', or appetiser, and that they should never be substituted for one's entire daily spiritual meal requirement.

What I'm getting a sense of is that my own personal spiritual nutritional intake is about the equivalent of a few breakfast bars in the morning (when I don't skip breakfast all together...) and an occasional 'late night snack' before bedtime.

Oh, what would my daily life look like if I spent more time in the bible studying the scripture...?

Hmmm... That's a dose of heavy consideration....

This topic to be continued...


Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord, I need more of You. I'm starving spiritually. Help me, Father. I throw myself on Your Mercy. I pray for more of a hunger and thirst for Your Word. Father God it's obvious that You've been working on my heart. Please, don't stop. No matter how painful, please keep on transforming me in Your image.

Lord I want to live a life that is good, holy, and pleasing to You. I want to be about 'Your' business, not my own. Lord YOU are my only hope. You are the only hope for this World.

Father God, I'm surrendering my will to You. Come what may, I will follow You. Lord, I love You. and I give this day to You, my King.

In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

No comments: