Friday, October 03, 2008

How to Have Victory Over Sin and These Evil Days

Proverbs 16:6 says... By Mercy and Truth iniquity is purged and by the fear of the Lord men depart from evil.

There are many professing Christians out there with recurring sin problems. I am one of them. I am a slave to sin at times, especially anger and gluttony. Step number one to over coming sin is to recognize that you want to sin.

Jeremiah 17:9 says... The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked. Who can know it...? Jesus said in Matthew 17:9.... For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornication, thefts, false witness, and blasphemies.

We need to ask Jesus to search our inward parts and purge us from all evil. Even then we must remember that the flesh will always war against the spirit for control of our mind. We need Holy Spirit power to overcome the war of the flesh. You get Holy Spirit power by reading the bible, obeying it, praying, and fasting.

Well, I currently only follow one of the four suggestions. I do pray fairly regularly. But my bible reading plan is haphazard at best. And I've never really got the hang of fasting. That's something I need to do more research on....

One out of four recommended ingredients...? No wonder there is recurring sin in my life...!

Today I begin my siege on the sin and evil in my life with this confessing prayer:

Dear Lord,

Even though I feel guilty afterward, I like sin. It's in my heart. My heart is most definitely unrighteous and deceitful. Help me with Holy Spirit power to overcome my evil heart. Convict me of sin and unrighteousness. Help me to read the bible every day AND to obey it.

Heavenly Father I am so sorry that I have continued to sin all these years. The sinning has got to stop and it has got to stop right here, right now. I claim victory over the sin in my life in the presence of many witnesses in Your Holy Name, Jesus. In the past I have insincerely prayed for this sin to cease. Please forgive me in accordance with 1 John 1:9.

I love You Lord. And I pray these things in Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments: