Friday, March 27, 2009

Proverbs Four: Seeking Wisdom

A recurring promise in the Book of Proverbs is that those that choose Wisdom and follow God will be blessed in numerous ways. I'm trying to dive deeper into Book Four and have noticed the tone has been one of 'Fatherly Advice'. Indeed Books one through three have addressed the reader as 'My Son'. Then in Proverbs 4:1 the translator uses the word Children, but in the original Hebrew the word used is 'ben', meaning son or grandson.

As I have been studying Proverbs the past few days I have been thinking about 'Father-Son' and 'parent-child' relationships a lot. I don't recall any 'heart to heart' talks with my dad growing up. How cool it would have been to have Solomon for a daddy. Solomon mentions that his daddy, 'David', had many talks with him....

I thank and praise God that I can tap into the Wisdom of Solomon (God's Wisdom) through reading and meditating on the bible. There really is way too much information in each Book of Proverbs to discern in one sitting. By allowing only one day to each book, I feel I'm barely able to scratch the surface of what's there. I want to keep going back and digging deeper and deeper and applying God's Word to my life...

More on Chapter Four tomorrow....

No comments: