Friday, April 08, 2011

Lifting up Coaches...

In my life I have been greatly impacted by coaches and teachers. Praise God that when I was a young boy, my first experience with coaches was a very positive experience. My little league baseball coaches were very Godly men and were very nurturing and encouraging. I had not even realized the impact of kind words and encouragement until a few years later in public school when I first encountered some 'really mean' coaches. The end result was that I did not continue in the sports that had mean, discouraging coaches and I gravitated to sports where the coaches did not scream angry remarks or make unkind comments to myself and my teammates.

Sadly, as the years have gone by I have probably seen far more instances of coaches who use negative reinforcement as their coaching style and I have observed the detrimental results on the young athletes these coaches impacted. The obvious, immediate result is the young athletes quit the sport, possibly never to play again. But who knows really what long term lasting effects a harsh word can have on a sensitive, impressionable young person...? I am 45 years old now but can still vividly recall some very discouraging childhood moments involving coaches and authority figures that have shaped the course of my life.

As a Christian I know that God is in control of everything. He has a perfect plan for our lives. As a Christian Coach, I recognize my duty to not only teach my sport, but point my young players to Christ. So what does that look like?

Proverbs 15:1 says a gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Ephesians 4:29 says to not use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them. These are two great verses for coaches.

I'd like to continue this commentary over the next few days, but want to close here by publicly forgiving those 'mean' coaches I have encountered throughout my life, especially those who discouraged me when I was a young person. God used that to make me the man I am today. Today I am also lifting up in prayer teachers, and all those who impact the life of a young person. I believe there is no greater work a man or woman can do.

Coach Sam Chadwell ~April 8, 2011

No comments: