Thursday, October 07, 2004

1 Timothy 2:1-8

I have been devoting the past 5 months to the study of prayer and how to communicate better with God. The past few weeks I have been looking at how the words 'Prayer' and 'Pray' are referenced in the bible. Here's a quick recap: The word 'Prayer' is used 105 times in the bible. 'Pray 'is used 121 times. Don't worry, I'm not going to exegete all 226 verses. But I am completing my research of this particular word study series tomorrow. Then for the next few weeks I intend to just devote myself to prayer only for awhile. I need to wait for God to lead me to my next course of action for this journal. Right now God is leading me to just conduct my own independent bible study and Pray, Pray, Pray.

Today's study comes from 1 Timothy. Timothy was a new testament evangelist. He was converted by the Apostle Paul. Paul loved him as his own son. Timothy spent a good deal of time ministering to the church at Ephesus. In Paul's first letter to Timothy the first 8 verses deal specifically with instruction on prayer. He doesn't give us a general 'form' for prayer but rather instructs us about prayer and who we are to pray for: EVERYONE...! I have included the entire passage for context but today I am just looking specifically at verse 8.

1 Tim 2:1-8 I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone- 2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all men-the testimony given in its proper time. 7 And for this purpose I was appointed a herald and an apostle-I am telling the truth, I am not lying-and a teacher of the true faith to the Gentiles.

8 I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing. (from New International Version)

Everywhere means prayer is not to be confined to any one particular place, but men may pray in any place. No place is more acceptable to God than another. We must pray in our houses with our families, pray at our meals, pray when we are on journeys, and pray in public and private places. It is also the will of God that in prayer we should lift up holy hands: For our hands to be holy it means they are not stained from sin. They must be washed in the blood. We need to confess our sins before we pray so that our hands will be Holy. Without Anger means that we can't be mad, angry, or upset with others when we go to pray. We should go and reconcile ourselves with those we have disagreements with before we pray. Without Disputing means we must have faith. We must pray without doubting. God is Good and Faithful. He never lets the Righteous fall. He works all things for good to those who are called to His purposes.

Dear Heavenly Father,

I need You Lord. I need forgiveness. I am starting to feel a 'disconnect'. I had a horrible day yesterday. So many things went wrong I just had to call it a day and go home. I know you are trying to get my attention. Well, You've got it. And I want to recommit to You. I want to dive into Your Word like never before. Renew my Passion, Lord. And use me to do Your Will.

Help me to Go boldly proclaiming your Glory Everywhere. Wash my Hands, Oh Lord. Forgive my sins. I lift these hands to You My Savior, My Deliverer. With Love in my heart for all men, I believe in You, Lord. You are God. You Can do All Things. You want to bestow blessings on Your Children. Bless Me, Lord. Give me Grace to withstand temptations and face trials. And allow me to be a blessing to others: My Wife, My Family, My Students, My Brothers and Sisters in the Body of Christ... Father help me to especially be a blessing to seekers and non believers.

I love You, Lord. I give this day to you. I'm ready to go out and fight the Good Fight. Thank You for hearing my prayer. Jesus, I pray this in Your Holy Name, AMEN.




No comments: