Monday, October 18, 2004

40 days of Purpose Day One...!

I've read through the Purpose Driven Life 40 Days series on more than one occasion. This is my second time to go through the series in a small group setting. My wife is serving as my accountability partner for the next 40 days. This is my first time to journal the experience. And those of you who have read my posts over the past year know that journaling is a way of life for me. Writing things down makes everything more clear to me. Join me for the next 40 days as I embark on a journey to discover the age old question: What on Earth are we here for...?

That is the question that has plagued mankind for ever. And many have attempted to answer that question. The problem is that they all started looking for the answer in the wrong place: Within themselves. The Bible tells us that it's not about us. The answer does not lie within.

For Everything, Absolutely Everything above and below, visible and invisible... Everything got started and finds it's purpose in HIM. -Colossians 1:16

The bible says it's about God. We were made by God and for God. We were made to worship Him. To bring Glory to His Name. We must live our lives for Him.

Today is the first day of my series of the Forty Days of Purpose. I hope you'll join me every day for the next 6 weeks and learn and grow in the Lord with me.

Coach Sam's Personal Notes: We have to work on not being so selfish. We must put other's needs before our own. We owe our lives and our eternal salvation to Jesus Christ. We must always strive for a deeper relationship with God, Our Creator. One way to do that is through disciplined every day quiet time with God. Time spent reading The Word. Time spent in Prayer. Time spent just being still and listening. For me, my quiet time is early in the morning. It's also when I'm alone driving in my car. My prayer time can come at almost any time. And it frequently comes when I'm right in the middle of a task. Frequently it comes while I'm engaging others in conversation. Yes, many times I'll be praying silently that God is seasoning my words and giving me discernment over particular matters and situations....

In short, we must practice being in God's presence just as if we were practicing our tennis shots. If you don't put in the practice time, You're not going to improve. You will not move up to the next level. In fact, if you don't 'practice' then the skills you presently have will start to fade and deteriorate.

My Prayer for the Day: Dear Heavenly Father, Lord You made everything. You can do anything. You are the ruler of above, below and inbetween. Jesus, I thank You for making me. For planning my life out. I thank You for designing my life with a purpose in mind. I'm here for You, Lord. You are my creator. I am Yours. What did You make me for...? Why am I here? That is the question I am going to let You answer for the next 40 days.

The bible advises us to take 40 days to prepare for holy pursuits. There are many references to God using a 40 day period to prepare people for spiritual growth... Even Jesus Himself submitteded to forty days of fasting and prayer to draw closer to God and empower His Ministry.

Father, this is Day One. I give this day to You, Lord. I love You, Lord. I seek You, Jesus. Help me to draw closer to You. Comfort me in these times of uncertainty. Bless my wife and family. Help me to stay disciplined and honor You in every way. In my interaction with others, in my thoughts, in my diet, and in the 100 percent giving of myself to the task at hand. Jesus, help me to be a more authentic Christian.

Thank You for your precious blood that grants us salvation and a life of eternal happiness.

Lord Jesus, in Your Holy Name I pray,

Amen.

No comments: