Thursday, October 28, 2004

What October 31 Means To Me

A big debate that occurs this time every year is should Christians celebrate Halloween...? I've been up and down on that topic and I had intended to write a commentary on the origin of Halloween today but I think I'll put that off for a day or two...

I was listening to a radio broadcast by noted preacher RC Sproul and he's doing a series on the Protestant Reformation. Does anyone know who started this movement...?

It was Martin Luther. No, not the one who got shot. That was Martin Luther 'King'. And they are not related.

Martin Luther was a German Catholic Monk who lived in the 1500's. He had a revelation that the Catholic Church was in significant error on many doctrines. He wrote a treatise on the errors and outlined 95 issues that he had with the Catholic Church. On October 31 he presented his papers to church officials and ended up leaving the church over those doctrinal differences. His actions sparked the births of the protestant faiths and was a significant blow to Catholicism.

That's a very interesting bit of history, isn't it...? The story of Martin Luther doesn't get told that often. I was aware of it but not that he made his presentation on October 31. Some recollections were that he nailed his treatise to the front door of the church but that is not true. The fact is he had great faith and respect for the Catholic Faith early on. After all, he was a monk. But he tried in vain to effect changes to Catholic Doctrines. He left the Catholic Faith and was excommunicated for his new beliefs.

I'd really like to do a study of Martin Luther's Treatise in upcoming months but I have to continue the 40 Days of Purpose series, first. I just thought I'd mention his story since we're getting close to October 31. So, to me October 31 is a special day because it's the anniversary of the beginning of Martin Luther's famous stand against the Catholic Church.

More on Halloween in the next few days...

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank You Lord for courageous men like Martin Luther. Men of deep, deep convictions who were not afraid to tell the world what was on their hearts. Help me to be a man of deep faith and great courage like Martin Luther, John Wesley, Charles Stanley and Billy Graham to name a few.

I certainly have deep convictions, but my courage is not always where it needs to be. Yancey Arrington at Clear Creek Community church referred to one's faith and courage to witness as a person's 'Boldness Meter'. Help me to be bold, Lord. Help me to better live my faith. Help me to continually pour my life into the lives of others ministering to their hurts and pains.

Father I love You. I give this day to You, Lord. I'm ready to go out and teach great tennis lessons and connect in the authentic engagement of others today. Bless my encounters. Season my words, Father. And thank You for the Victory we have over sin and death in Your Son, Jesus.

Amen.

No comments: