Thursday, November 18, 2004

Back to the PDL Study

OK... I've been away long enough... My 40 days is going to turn into something more like 60 days, but I'm back in the Saddle of the Purpose Driven Life Study. My small group is way ahead of me, but I'll catch up. Here's where I left off awhile back.

PDL Lesson 10 The Heart of Worship

Opening Scripture:

Give Yourselves to God… Surrender your whole being to him to be used for righteous purposes… Romans 6:13 Key Word (s): Surrender

Why should we surrender to Jesus…? And what exactly is ‘surrender’…?

More From Romans:

So then my friends, because of God’s great mercy to us… offer yourselves as a living sacrifice to God. Dedicated to His service and pleasing to Him. This is the true worship that you should offer.’ Romans 12:1

We should surrender to God because of God’s amazing Love and Mercy. Offering ourselves to God is what worship is all about.

Three Barriers That Block Total Surrender to God:

FEAR: Trust is an essential ingredient to surrender. Many are scared to Trust God. Fear keeps us from surrendering, but the bible says that ‘Love casts out all Fear…’ When we realize how much God loves us, surrender becomes much easier.

PRIDE: Our struggles with life are really struggles with God. We want to be in charge of our own destiny. We have to learn that we can’t do it under our own power. It’s God working through us. We must be obedient to God’s word, and Trust in Him. You know you’re surrendered to God when you rely on God to work things out instead of trying to manipulate others, force your agenda, and control the situation.

CONFUSION: If You don’t surrender to God You surrender to something else and then there is chaos. Many of us surrender to Money, Pride, Lust, and Ego. If we put other things before God then we are not totally surrendering to Him.

A Little More about Surrender: There are two aspects of Surrender.

The Moment of Surrender: That’s when we surrender for the first time.
The Practice of Surrender: After the first time we have to surrender moment by moment for the rest of our lifetime. That’s the difficult part. It’s not easy to stay surrendered. Paul said: ‘I die daily…’ 2 Cor 5:9 meaning surrender is not a one-time event…!


Dear Heavenly Father,

You loved me so much that you sacrificed Your Beloved Son so that I might have eternal life. Why don’t I trust You More…? How can I put other things before You…? Lord, take away my Pride. Make Me, Keep Me a humble man. Help me with my faith issue. I want everything about me to be Glorifying You, Lord. My words, my actions, my thoughts… Especially my thoughts. The Battle of Faith is fought in the thought world.

Today Lord, I Really Surrender myself to You. I surrender my marriage, my career, my relationships, my finances. I give it all to you. You Jesus, are in the driver’s seat of my life. I run to You with reckless abandon.

Lord, just make of my life what You will. I trust You to raise me up to face the adversity that may be ahead. You’ll season my words with Grace and Edification when I need it. I have no fear of the future, Lord. Come what may, I will be Your faithful servant.

Father God, I love You. I thank You for these precious moments with You. This quiet time. And Thank You Lord for being my God. For Protecting me. For Providing for me. For being my source of Strength, My Rock. And Most Importantly: For Your Gift of Salvation.

Lord Jesus, I Pray these things in Your Holy Name, AMEN.

No comments: