Wednesday, November 17, 2004

PHILIPPIANS 3:13-14

'Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.'
(from New International Version)

‘Forgetting what is behind… That is the key to success. Move forward. Don’t be bogged down by previous defeats, hurts or set backs. It’s so easy to slip, become depressed and just let bad situations snow ball and breed more difficulty.

What is behind you…? Failure… Ridicule… Betrayal… Loss…

Everyone faces adversity at some time or another.. The bible says that we will face troubles in this world. Not that we might have them but we WILL face them. But Phil 3:14 says to keep on running the race. It encourages us to Not give up... We have a Great Prize awaiting us in Heaven!

But how can we ‘forget’…? How can we get defeat out of our heads…? Well, Paul says to strain toward what is ahead. Paul was an incredible man of courage and he never gave up. We can and must try to be like the apostle Paul. Press On. Press on for Jesus.

Are You or someone you know facing adversity…? Pray for them to move forward, to press on toward the goal…

Trust in the Lord God and he will make your path straight.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Someone I know is facing adversity. More than one person, in fact. I pray for them today. I pray for Your Grace in their particular situations. I pray for the Holy Spirit to intervene in their circumstances. Father, I know that You have lessons You want us to learn and You ‘grow’ us through adversity. And You said that You’d never give us more than we could bear. Thank You for growing and stretching us. Thank You for sending people into our lives to help us along the bumpy roads. Give my friends the Grace to accept help when it is rendered. Lord, Give me that Grace, too. I’m bad about allowing others to help me, as well.

But Praise Your Name, Lord You are a Comfort to the weary and a Healer to the Sick. Lord, You are a Great Provider. And we can live life with confidence that You will take care of our every need. Father, You have already worked great miracles in my life. You have already answered so many of my prayers. Thank You Jesus for being the kind, loving, generous, forgiving God that You are…!

I lift these special requests up in your Holy Name, Jesus. Amen.


No comments: