Thursday, November 04, 2004

In Need of Some Grace

Yesterday I allowed doubt and anxiety to creep into my thought life. I guess You could say that I had a 'bad' day. Monica and I had some major air conditioning work done yesterday. And a few minutes after the workers had been coming and going out our front door I noticed that I couldn't find our new little kitty, Gabriel. I thought he was shut up in the bedroom with Jack and Hobbes but on closer inspection I realized that he wasn't in there.

I searched every nook and cranny of the house the rest of the morning and early afternoon to no avail. Oh, I stopped and prayed a little bit, but still I kept on worrying. I asked God to just fix my problem, period. I didn't really pray with all my heart, mind, and soul. And to make make matters worse there were lots and lots of distractions and other disappointments.

The police had set up a speed trap right in front of our house and were pulling people over, giving tickets, and hauling people to jail all morning. One car (a Ford Expedition) had an entire family of Mom and Dad, 5 kids, and a little dog. The Daddy was arrested and the vehicle was towed off. And the mom was screaming, the kids were crying, and the dog was barking. The Mom, kids, and dog stayed on and around the sidewalk of my front yard for nearly an hour until someone came and picked them up. One by one, the kids knocked on my door and asked to come in and use the bathroom. -All five of them...! It was a regular parade...! One of them asked me if I had any chips, that he hadn't had anything to eat all day. (it was nearly 12-noon). I didn't have any chips. Monica and I don't keep too much snack food on hand. So I gave him some candy that I had for tennis lessons. The family in the yard incident lasted about an hour. It was loud, and stressful. I knew the Christian thing to do was to invite the family in until help arrived for them but the kids were so unruly and the mom was so angry and hysterical, screaming at the police man I just turned my back on the situation. I felt very guilty about doing nothing. But still, I didn't do anything. I think Jesus would have treated them differently.

So, finally the family was picked up. And I still hadn't found Gabriel. Then, I had not one, but two private lessons cancel from my Columbia lakes afternoon schedule. Monica came home home from work and we found Gabriel, so that was good. But still, I was rushed and late leaving for work. About halfway into my trip I realized that I had forgotten the keys to my office at work. (more aggravation...)

My drive to work is about an hour and 15 minutes. That's always good, reflective, quiet time for me. During this time I realized just how unfaithful to God that I was... -And that made me more depressed. Sigh... I took an emotional beating yesterday. -But I gave it to myself. Armed with that revelation I'm going to do better today.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord God Almighty, Great Judge and King: Please Lord do not judge me harshly for slipping yesterday. Indeed, I allowed negative thoughts, worry and doubt into my heart and I am sorry, Lord. Forgive me. Cleanse me. Make me whole again. I know and believe that I can do all things through You who give me strength. You will never leave me. You work all things for good to those who are called to Your Purposes. You are my Rock. My Redeemer. No weapon formed against me will prosper. Jesus, I trust in You.

I will go forward today, Lord. I will Boldly Proclaim Your Glory...! I will be positive, confident, and quick to have faith that dispels doubt. When I pray Lord, I will pour my entire being into that prayer. Because you are worthy, so worthy of my Thanks and Praise, Glory and Honor.

Father I give this day, November 4th to You. Bless my path, Lord. And bless those I encounter today. Allow me to be a blessing to them. Let them see a positive attitude in the face of adversity. Renew me and transform me in Your image and likeness oh Lord.

Lord I love You. I thank You for Jesus' Blood which washes away my sins and sets me free. Thank You for adopting me into the Kingdom Family of God. In Your Precious son's Name I pray, AMEN.

No comments: