Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Getting in the Christmas Spirit

I'm trying to get in the Christmas spirit... But what is it...? What ever it is I'm not there yet because I feel pretty much the same as I always do. Hustle and Bustle sounds about right. But what is Bustle...? It can't be good. My sleep has been better, but I'm still restless at times.

Seriously, how does one acquire the Christmas Spirit...? Is it when we are overwhelmed with feelings of peace, joy, and happiness? Is it when we are transformed by an act of generosity and kindness and compassion...? Does it have anything to do with Christmas trees, decorations, lights...? How about attending a Christmas service at church...? Monica and I attended a Christmas service put on by the youth of our church this past Sunday. It was awesome. So I guess I had a bit of Christmas Spirit a few days ago. But today I'm just a regular person again.

I have very few happy Christmas memories as a child, but at least there were a few. I remember going to my grandmother's house out in the country. But Grandma is gone and so is that house. My parents are gone, my brothers and sisters are scattered.

But Monica and I have begun to start our own Holiday tradition of celebrating Christmas the past few years. We had determined to not have a Christmas tree this year, (Because of our finances) but I think we can scrape together enough money. We have lots of decorations (somewhere). And although the kitties are going to go crazy with a tree in the house I want have one.

And we've sort of had a tradition of taking gifts to homeless people down in the Montrose area. I definitely want to do that. Helping others, reaching out to humanity, that's what puts me in a Christmas mood. But I think I need special prayer and meditation to get me headed in the 'true' Christmas Spirit.

I'd have to define the Christmas spirit as being overwhelmed with joy, peace, and love in honor of Christ Jesus being born. Jesus was a 'gift' from God. Although 'scholars' say he wasn't born on December 25 that doesn't matter to me. The day is symbolic of the event. The event is holy. Not the day.

When I stop to think that God loved us so much that he sent his son down to earth in the form of tiny little baby.... And that baby grew to be a man that would suffer and die for our sins and save us from an eternity of burning in hell... Well, that definitely puts me in a different emotional state. I still don't think I have a true Christmas spirit yet, but I think I'm on the right track. I'm getting there. I'll revisit this topic a lot in the next few days and I do welcome comments, questions, and perspective on the Christmas Spirit. I'm curious if anyone else is having the same trouble I am?

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord, You are the Holy Author of the Christmas Spirit. It all started with the baby Jesus being born. Help me get the Christmas Spirit. Help me know what it is exactly. Is it a feeling...? I think I'm looking for a feeling... Oh Lord, I'm thankful and grateful, sure. But I'm missing something. I've just got to be missing something and I don't know what it is. But You do.

Father, I ask that you complete me. Make me whole. I want to be a light shining, and burning bright for you. Help me Lord so I can help others.

Lord Jesus, I love You. I'm staying focused on you. I'm blocking out all negative thoughts today. It's all about you. I'm giving 100 percent of myself to you today, Lord. I'm doing everything as if I'm doing it for you, My King. I give this day to you, Father God.

And in Jesus' Name I Pray, AMEN


No comments: