Thursday, December 30, 2004

My Nephew's 18th Birthday...

It's difficult to believe that my little nephew is turning 18 years old today. I'm not sure what kind of day it will be for Him. He has had difficulties with drugs and alcohol for the past 3 years and he is at the point now that he's 18 that he legally becomes responsible for his actions.

His Mom and Dad have told him that he will have to move out of the family house if he doesn't change his ways. Oh they've threatened him with that before but because in New York parents are legally responsible for their children until their 18th birthday he's sort of held them hostage with the threat that he'd do something really bad and then they'd have to pay for it.

Well, they've already 'paid' for it many times. And not just financially. They've paid through the pain, stress, and anguish of living with an addict for the past 3 years. They've tried to help him through discipline, love, compassion, tough love and various counseling services but my nephew simply doesn't care. He doesn't want to change. He's extremely stubborn. And his antics and behavior have literally torn the family in two.

My wife and I have been praying for him and my sis' family for some time now. Praying for everyone's salvation. Praying for both physical healing and spiritual healing. I won't ever stop praying for them. This is spiritual warfare and I'm dug in and never giving up!

Today, being my nephew's birthday and all... Well, I'm really praying for a miracle. I'm praying specifically that he'll say, Mom and Dad: I'm a man now. I'm going to show you what a man I am by throwing away these childish destructive behaviors. I need help. I want help..! On the surface it seems absolutely impossible that he would turn over a new leaf, but I know that with God, anything and everything is possible.


Dear Heavenly Father,

I'm praying for Joey today. You know his situation. You know everything, Lord. You are all Knowing, All Seeing, and All Powerful. He's got some major issues. He needs You, Lord. That whole family needs You...! Father God, Lord Jesus, send your Holy Spirit to rest upon him. Send an angel of mercy to minister and witness to him. He hasn't had a chance to really know you yet. He hasn't been in an environment where he has been exposed to lives that have truly been changed by accepting you as their personal savior. Oh, he's been around good people. But good people have not been able to save him. Sometimes good people need help, too. He needs the healing that only the Holy Spirit can bring. He needs a change of heart. Some how, some way, I pray that his heart be changed, Lord.

Indeed, his transformation could change many of the lives around him for the better. He could become a powerful witness and wonderful example of a life that has been unshackeled. And Father, I pray for his little brother and Mom and Dad also. Lift them up to know a life changing personal relationship with You too, Lord.

The world as Joey knows it is passing away. He's not ready for what's in store for him. No one can face the onslaught of the future and survive without the indwelling spirit of Jesus Christ to guide them. Today I pray for Joey's Salvation like I never have before. I pray that he turns from his current lifestyle and be spared the pain and anguish that he's sure to suffer if he doesn't find You.

Reveal Yourself to him, Lord. Knock him over the head if you have to, but please let this be a joyous day of a rite of passage for a boy to turn into a man.

I pray for peace for his family. And they will eventually have it one way or another. But most importantly, I pray for Joey's Life. Joey's Future.

Father God, I pray that Your will be done. In Jesus' Name,

Amen.

No comments: