Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Over 60 Thousand Victims

My 13 year old nephew has some questions about God. He wonders how God could let over 60 thousand people be devastated in a tragedy like the one in southeast Asia...? If God works all things for good how can good come out of this tragedy...?

Well, I believe there is an answer, and many lessons to be learned from this tragedy. My answer to that is first of all, we don't know the spiritual state of the 60 thousand plus victims. Surely for some of them, this was God's judgment on their lives.

But what for the innocent? The children, the babies...? That is a more difficult explanation. Certainly, the innocent are in heaven right now. I believe that God loved them so much he brought them home early. Remember that death is no respecter of age.

And the ones left behind, the grieving, the ones lives who will forever be touched by this tragedy are reminded how fragile life is. We are all reminded of how little time we have on this earth. How no one really knows when their life might be required of them.

I say it is a message from God to take a look at your choices, your life style, and what's important to you. Set Your life straight right now before it's too late. For over 60 thousand victims it's too late now.

Where is God...? God is in the relief effort. The power of God is evident in the massive amount of humanitarian aide that will pour into the disaster ravaged areas over time. The power of God is in the many prayers that are being poured into this situation right this moment as as I write these words.

Surely, survivors lives are forever changed. The ones who came within an inch of their lives will surely question why they lived, and did not perish. Perhaps during those moments with water swirling around them some people prayed for the first time in their lives accepting Jesus. Surely, millions have prayed and been praying since the disaster first struck. And many around the world are like my 13 year old nephew with questions about God.

You know, I've got problems here at home in Houston Texas. I've got financial problems, I've got health problems, I've got familial problems... But let's put it in perspective of a Christian world view. At least a giant wave hasn't come crashing down on me. I am blessed to be living in America. I have plenty of food. A very comfortable home. I have a loving wife. And I worship an awesome God who speaks to me with signs and wonders. I have no room to be complaining or dis-satisfied with my life. (and I'm not complaining...)

The tsunami is a sign to America: We need to be mindful that there is a God. We need to be grateful for what we have. And we need to be respectful of all human life, including our own.

We don't know when God may call us up. Many of us need to take inventory and make some changes in our lives. I for one do not intend to be caught by a big wave.


Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord, I want to thank you for the blessings in my life. I am grateful, Father. And I heed your warning in southeast Asia. I recognize that all I have, all I cherish, my life, and the lives of my loved ones could be ripped away from me at any moment.

Jesus, I can't live another moment without drawing closer to You. I feel for the families of the victims. The ones who survived this disaster. I have suffered loss in my life before. Life Changing Loss. I know Grief. I pray for the grieving. The hurting. Bring peace and comfort to the families, Lord. Send angels to minister to them. Let this be a time not of condemnation, but of reconciliation. I pray that all will turn to you in their moments of sorrow. I pray for my nephew and many like him who have questions about all this and might be seeking you as the answer to these questions. Reveal yourself in a powerful way to them, Lord.

And Lord, I pledge to live my life differently. I want to live my life better. I want to do more for the Kingdom. I want to touch the lives of others with Your message of peace, love and salvation. I want to influence others in a positive way that changes their lives for the better. Father help me. I can do nothing outside of You. I want to be a better Husband, a better leader, a better father, a better teacher. Lord Jesus, please bless me in this area. Season the words from my lips to edify and encourage others and draw them to you.

Lord Jesus, You know my personal trials. My wants, and my needs. Well, don't give me what I want but do give me what I need, and that's more of you. More of Your Holy Spirit. And Lord, please lift up my sweet wife whom I love and cherish. She and I are a team, Lord. A divine team put together by You. Strengthen Monica, and strengthen us to abide in you and do your will for our lives, Father.

Lord Jesus, I pray for these things in the power of Your Holy Name,

Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dearest brother, you have touched my heart-this is just awesome what you've written! I love you an I know that it will touch Johnny's heart too!
May God Bless all these victims and their loved ones! God Bless you-luv sis