Monday, December 06, 2004

PDL Lesson 14 …When God Seems Distant

“The Lord has hidden Himself from His people, but I trust Him and place my trust in Him.” Isaiah 8:17

This chapter starts out explaining that it is easy to worship and Love God when everything is going well in one’s life. But it’s during times of pain and trouble when God seems to have abandoned us that it becomes difficult to worship. But first of all we have to understand that God has not left or abandoned us. In fact, the books of John (14: 16-18), Hebrews (13:5), Deuteronomy (31:8), and Psalm (37:28) state, “God will never leave us or forsake us…”

And if a promise is given not once, but 4 times in the bible, then we can definitely rest assured it’s the truth…!

The bible notes many instances when God hid the feeling of his presence from his people. David was known as a man after God’s own heart, yet he felt many times when God was distant. Job was severely tested by God. Both David and Job freely admitted that their own personal circumstances were much less than desirable but they still praised God and worshiped Him in spite of what was going on in their lives.

God may withdraw ‘the feeling’ of His presence as punishment for sins we have committed, or he may simply be testing us to grow and mature us stronger in the Faith. It is up to us to discern which it is. But the key element is that it is just ‘the feeling’ or ‘emotion’ that is missing, not God Himself. Rick Warren explains that God often removes our feelings so that we have to rely on Faith. God is more concerned that we trust Him rather than feel Him.

4 Things to Help Us When God Seems Distant In Our Lives:

1. Tell God exactly how you feel. Pour out your heart in prayer. Better yet, write it down. Unload every emotion on to God. God wants us to be sincere with him.
2. Focus on God’s unchanging Nature. God is Good. He cares about you. He loves you. He knows what you’re going though. He has a good plan for your life. These are truths that never change.
3. Trust God to keep his promises. Don’t be troubled by trouble. Circumstances do not change the character of God. Job remained faithful even though nothing made sense.
4. Remember what God has already done for you. God died for us so that we might have everlasting life. God died for our sins.

Coach Sam’s Personal Study Notes:

This particular study came at just the right time for me as I am currently experiencing my own ‘winter of the heart’. It seems that Monica is, too. But we know that God Loves us. He will not leave us. He is just shaping us. He’s molding us. We are being refined in the fire. Monica and I studied this chapter together tonight. I’m sure we’ll be discussing it more tomorrow. We have many issues in our lives that we are dealing with. Many things we can’t explain. But we already have a pretty neat history of God’s miracles in our life. God has always provided for us in our hour of need.

Yet it seems that every time we turn around we are facing bigger and greater trials. I get quite frustrated with myself that I worry and have anxiety over things I know I just need to give to God. Rick Warren explained that every Christian goes through this, but that doesn’t make me feel any better. I’m glad I outlined this chapter because I’m going to put those 4 suggestions to work in my life immediately.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thanks Lord for being so faithful. Thank You for always being there for us. You will never leave us, Dear Jesus. You died for us. Your love for us is so great that you gave up everything for us.

Lord, I know that the pains, troubles, and difficulties I perceive are nothing compared to other people in the world. I know that many people would trade lives and lifestyles with me in a heartbeat. I’m not ungrateful for my blessings, Lord. And Father, I’m sorry for worrying. I’m sorry for sometimes being anxious about the future.

But Father I need your help to be more faithful. It is my deep desire to be more faithful. But I can’t do it under my own power. I need your help, Lord.
Help me to be a greater man of Faith. Help me to be a better leader and husband to my sweet wife. Help me motivate her (and others) to trust you fully and give them the courage to become all that you designed them to become. Dear Lord, I thank you so much for Monica and the little baby growing inside of her. And I want to love them, protect them, lead them, and grow closer to you with them, Lord. Help me to be what you designed me to be. Help my faith, Lord.

Father, I ask these things in Your Sons Name, Jesus Christ. AMEN


No comments: