Monday, March 21, 2005

Prayer for the Broken

Yesterday at Church Pastor Bruce spoke about 3 different kinds of people: I want to focus on two of them today. The Broken and the Guilty Good.
The Broken are those whose life has been beaten down by tragedy. Perhaps they have experienced the loss of a loved one, or they are in an abusive, hurtful relationship. The other person, the Guilty Good, is basically a good person but they tend to blame themselves for bad things that happen. I happen to identify with both of those types. And, I have a friend who I think identifies with at least one of them.
You see, yesterday was the anniversary of my Mom's passing away 5 years ago. She had lupus and many complications associated with that disease, plus a number of other health issues as well. Even though her passing was inevitible, she went very quickly and unexpectedly at the end and died with none of her family present. I was rushing to be with her at the hospital but she died on the life flight helicoptor enroute from Bay City to Houston.
For a long time I have felt guilty that I didn't spend more time witnessing to my mom about the plan of salvation. I tried to explain the gospel and of accepting Jesus as her personal savior to her but she would not listen. She was a member of a denomination that believed in good works and sacraments to get to heaven. But sadly, she had even fallen away from her own faith towards the end of her life.
I've felt guilty for not being more aggressive in my efforts to get her to accept Christ. The truth is I don't know for sure if my Mom's salvation is secure and that bothers me. I regret not trying harder with my mom.
Yesterday, a friend emailed me that her mom had passed away yesterday. That brought up more old feelings. I remember how I felt the day my mom passed and the craziness of the days that followed her passing. I remember the broken-ness I felt. (and still sometimes feel)
So, today I want to lift up my friend Elizabeth and her family during their time of loss.
Dear Heavenly Father,
Lord we know that it is appointed that there is a time to live and a time to die. We all have to deal with mortality. But Father, it is so difficult to cope with the loss of a parent. I'm not sure what physical or emotional state my friend Elizabeth is in right now. I'm sure she's grieving, Lord. Lift her up. Comfort her and her family during their time of loss.
I think that my experience with my own mother has equiped me in particular to pray for her and minister to Elizabeth. I can see now how my mom's passing has changed and shaped me as a person. It certainly has firmed my resolve as a Christian to share my witness. And now it is allowing me to minister to Elizabeth and her family in their time of need. Lord, in my case, you have definitely taken a bad negative occasion and turned it around for good.
Father in Heaven, I pray for good to come from Elizabeth's mom passing. Perhaps it will bring her family closer together. Perhaps it will allow Elizabeth to move on into a new phaze of her life. Whatver the call is Lord, I pray that Your will be done. Father God, You are an Awesome God. You are Steadfast and Strong. You are a Rest and a Comfort to the Poor, the Tired, and the Weary. Jesus I just place Elizabeth's situation in your hands. Bless her and her family. I lift them up to You. today, Lord.
I claim Victory over this situation in your Name, Christ Jesus. Amen and Amen...!

No comments: