Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Parenting

I'm reading a book I got at Metropolitan Baptist Church this past Sunday on Father's Day. It's really Good. It's called Dad in the Mirror. I read a similar book a couple of years ago called Man in the Mirror. Ironically, I got that book from Clear Creek Community Church on Father's Day, 2003.

I've only read the introduction and the first two chapters but I'm quite impressed with the material so far. I'm sure I'll use a lot of what I learn from that book in lessons here online.

So far it's discussed fathers like myself breaking out of the life cycle of how their dad raised them. It speaks of parenting the child's heart, not just parenting for performance. That's so crucial. But how do you train up a heart...? I could have answered that with out reading the book. It's by time well spent. It's through authentic conversation. Most of all, it's through modeling the heart you want your kids to have. It's important to be genuine. It's important to be there.

It's my task to break out of the cycle of how I was raised. I'm going to do that. Connor and Elijah are going to know love. They are going to live in an environment where there is love and respect for God and each other. That will be my legacy to them and the world.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord, You are wonderful. You are a mighty God. Perfect in every way. You are awesome. I am nothing without You, my King. I love You, I worship You. I give You thanks and praise.

Father, thank You for the opportunity to raise up Connor and baby Elijah. Help me to be the dad You have called me to be. I pray for these boys and lift them up to You today, Lord. I pray for their mom, too. Keep her safe and sound. Keep her free from worry. Guard her health. Guard her sleep. She needs rest, Lord. Help Connor and I to help her.

Father I just thank You for my life. I have such a blessed life. And I know that to whom much is given much is expected. I am ready and willing to serve, Lord.

I give this day to You, Lord. Season my words and actions that I may be a strong witness for Your Kingdom today. I pray these things in Jesus' Name.

Amen.

No comments: