Sunday, August 28, 2005

Sunday Devotional: 1 Timothy 4

Train Yourself up in Godliness, for while bodily training is of some value, Godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also the life to come. 1 Timothy 4

In this passage Timothy is encouraging others to be diligent in their 'spiritual workouts'. He says that while it is important to get a physical workout too, a Godly (spiritual) workout is more beneficial because it enhances both our physical life here now, and for our eternal life afterward. I've been praying lately for more of a hunger and a thirst to know our Lord better. I want to walk closer with Him and be an example to my family and the community. This verse was the bible verse from a daily email I get from beliefnet. It was just what I needed this morning, because I need a workout in more ways than one...

What is a Godly Workout...? For me it's reading some scripture. Then Meditating on that scripture. Then Praying. Perhaps I'll write down my prayers. I like to keep a prayer log. (as you see here). Sometimes my spiritual workout consists of listening to teaching sermons on CD's or the radio.

But I want more passion for this. I want to dive into the Word of God the way I dive into a fiction Novel. I want to have the same passion for God's word that I had for tennis when I was growing up as a young man. If I'd have studied the bible the way I trained for tournaments as a youth then I'd be a Seminary professor right now. My problem is that I'm inconsistent.

I want to be more plugged in to God and I believe that God wants that for my life, but I can't seem to consistently get my act together. All I can do is humbly give this request to the Lord and ask that he send the Holy spirit to anoint me, to bless me in that regard.

Oh, by the way... That verse has significant meaning to me because I desperately need a physical workout, too. Right now I'm the heaviest I've ever been in my life. And my quality of life is suffering. I know that this is not God's will for me. He showed me a prime example of obesity with my dad's life. I know it is God's calling for me to lose that weight and be healthy and strong and lead. Perhaps God allowed me to get so overweight so that he might be glorified in my losing that weight and regaining my physique of 10 years ago... I don't know, but that sounds good to me. And when it does happen I'm definitely going to give God all the GLORY!

So this morning my prayer is twofold... I'm praying for both spiritual and physical discipline. I know that I can't do it on my own, yet I can do anything through Christ...!

Dear Lord,

Father just thank You for sustaining me. Thank You for speaking to me through Your Word and through circumstances in my life. Thank You for the encouragement of Churches like Willowbrook Church and Metropolitan Baptist. Thank You for great bible teachers on the radio like Dr Charles Stanley, Dr RC Sproul, Dr Ed Young and Charles Swindoll, to name just a few.

Lord, I realize how blessed I am to be in this age, this era. I believe this is a crucial, pivotal time in the history of the world. I believe that You placed me here at this particular time, in this particular place for a specific reason. I want to be right of the middle of Your will effecting changes and making an impact for Your Kingdom. I want to be Your Salt and Light. Help me to effect Godly Changes for this Worldly World. But I think that in order to do that I must start by working on myself and my family, first. My Wife and children are my first priority. They are my primary divine responsibility. I must begin walking the walk at home more consistently before I can effectively venture out into the world.

Oh Father I can't do that without Your Divine Grace. I need Your help, Lord. I need spiritual discipline. I need physical discipline. So Father God, I just fall flat forward on my face and seek You. Deliver me from my mediocrity and help me to pursue Excellence. Help me to walk closer with Thee. Help me to change this community be raising up a Godly family and living a God honoring life before man.

Lord I do Love You. You are my Savior and my King. I bow down before You in Praise and Worship. My life is about serving You, Jesus. And Lord I pray these things in Your Sweet, Divine, Precious, Holy Name,

Amen.

No comments: