Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Four Levels of Life

Today my commentary is based on an sermon transcript I read from the late Dr Adrian Rogers. Below is a quote from one of his Thanksgiving messages.

There are basically four levels of life. The first is represented by people who are constantly complaining and grumbling. They brighten up a room just by leaving it. The second includes people who just live lives of ingratitude. They don't complain, but they never thank God for His obvious blessings. That's a little better than the first level, but not much. Then, there are people who thank God for obvious blessings. When something good happens, they're grateful. That's a better level. But let me tell you what the highest level is. It is to be grateful for all things at all times. Now folks when you get to that place, then you have learned the secret of joy.
I know many people at the first or second level Dr Rogers spoke about. I view people like that as my mission field. I think perhaps God brought this or that person into my life so that I could be a Godly influence on them.

My issue is that sometimes I find myself falling into that first or second category, too. The highest level Dr Rogers spoke about, giving thanks for everything at all times, seems next to impossible to achieve. Yet that is the life and the thought process we are called to strive for.
Dr Rogers sermon has given me lots to think about. Today I'm going to start retooling my prayer life and start thanking God more often.

No comments: