Friday, March 31, 2006

Intercession: It's a 24/7 Job...!

I've been in the habit of not petitioning God on Fridays. I've been using the popular phrase: 'Thank God it's Friday' for years now. I've rationalized that it's not good to just petition God all the time, that I should take at least one day off a week (from petitioning). But I was reading the works of Oswald Chambers this morning and had a revelation that it's not the fact that I'm petitioning God seven days a week, it's HOW I'm petitioning. It's the state of my heart as I'm petitioning. Here are a collection of quotes from today's My Utmost for His Highest devotional that explains it succinctly:
"...Worship and intercession must go together; one is impossible without the other. Intercession means raising ourselves up to the point of getting the mind of Christ regarding the person for whom we are praying... Are we worshiping God in a way that will raise us up to where we can take hold of Him, having such intimate contact with Him that we know His mind about the ones for whom we pray...? Are we living in a holy relationship with him, or are we being hard and dogmatic?...'"


Dr Chambers went on to describe those who instead of worshiping God, just recite speeches about how God is supposed to work, throwing petitions at the throne and dictating to HIM what they want HIM to do. -I'm afraid that describes myself at times...

I like how Oswald Chambers reminds us that we must have the mind of Christ' regarding the person for whom we are praying. And, he explains that 'authentic' intercessory prayer IS worshiping God. Which means that by not petitioning God on Friday's I've actually worshiped Him less, not more....

Well, I'm now of the mind set that intercession is a round the clock job. (At least for me it is.) It seems I am always moved about something or someone to pray for. If a person is called to intercession I think they should do without ceasing!

Today Dear Lord I thank You for speaking to my heart through the works of Your servant Oswald Chambers. Father God It is my heart's deep desire to be in a constant state of worship, a constant state of connection to You. I would never want to do anything that was not pleasing to you, my King. I have been so blessed in so many ways... I have a life far better than I deserve. And I want to show my gratitude by living a Godly life that honors and magnifies Your Kingdom.

Lord, You know that I am struggling with some relationships right now. I realize that these struggles are an opportunity for Your glory to show itself. I do pray for Your mind regarding the relationships in question. I pray for Your wisdom. In my interaction during these relationships let Your words be my words, Lord. Help me to be kind, gentle, patient.... Help me to be like You, my Savior.

Jesus, there is none like You. I know You can and You will heal the situations I speak of. I believe in You. I trust in You. I have faith in You, my God. There is no problem too big that You can't handle or too small that you wouldn't want to be bothered with. You've got the whole world in Your hands... You are a great big God...!

I love You Lord. I give this day to You. I do thank God it's Friday...!

And I pray these things in Jesus' name, AMEN...!

No comments: