Sunday, March 12, 2006

Sunday Morning Musings

It's been months since I've had my act together enough to be able to blog on a Sunday morning. I used to make it a point to spend time in prayer for a particular church or ministry every Sunday morning. I want to get back in that routine. I'm really trying to stay disciplined in this area and I'm committed to blogging a little every day no matter what the circumstances. This morning there's a lot on my heart.

Of course, some of you who have been following my journals from the beginning remember that I originally started my blogging career with my Prayer Warriors journal on AOL back years ago. I started that ministry to lift up the men of Church in the Heights. Over the years my ministry has shifted it's focus to intercessory prayer over a variety of topics and subjects. I feel that's one of my callings: Prayer. I love prayer. I love to dive into a deep, rich communion and conversation with God. And I try to keep an ongoing dialog going on all day long with my Lord and Savior. The time I spend here in this public forum isn't my only time with God.

And the purpose of this blog isn't to impress anyone. I'm not interested in earthly rewards. It is my wish that perhaps someone browsing or surfing the internet may stumble across my blog and get a message from my random entries. And let's face it, I'm all over the map spiritually. Some days I'm into writing lessons about what's been revealed to me in my personal scripture study. Some days I'll report the highlights of a particular sermon I listened to that touched my heart. Sometimes it's lessons learned from real life. Occasionally I'll do a study on a particular topic that interests me. Other times it's just going to be a prayer.

Prayer is the backbone of this blog. When I started this blog I wasn't very adept at prayer. (not that I think I am now, either...) I didn't know how to have an intimate conversation with God, especially in a public venue. The only prayers I really new were rote memorized prayers that I learned in school and the church of my childhood. My first real prayer after asking God into my heart as my personal Lord and Savior was to ask God to help me to pray better. I wanted to pray a real prayer from the heart, to just let it flow. You see, I would choke up when I had to pray, especially when I would pray in front of my wife or friends. For some reason it mattered to me what they thought about how I prayed. And then I realized that pride was the issue. Now when I pray I try to pray as if there's no one in the room but me and the Lord. (many times that's the case anyway.)

Wow, this entry is getting quite lengthy. I'd better close for now. Thanks for tuning into Coach Sam's Prayer Journal. It is my prayer that God Richly Bless you. If you have a prayer request post it right here on my blog or send a private email to: coachsam@earthlink.net I'd consider it a blessing and a privilege to take your request before the Lord and pray with you.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord in Heaven, I thank You for today. You are an awesome God. You have blessed me and my family and this nation, Lord. I recognize You as my personal Lord and Savior. I am Your adopted son. It is a privilege to be a part of Your family, this body of Christ.

Today I lift up the Ministry of First Baptist West Columbia. I pray blessings on Pastor Barclay and his pastoral staff. I pray that the message this morning is divinely inspired and touches many hearts today. Father I remember Church in The Heights this morning as well. I lift it up. I don't know the details about what's going on there at the moment but I know that You do. You know everything Lord. I pray that Your will be done in that church and that hearts and lives are transformed there into Your image, Father.

Lord I ask a personal blessing on myself today as well. I don't often pray specifically for myself but I pray that you continue to lift up my health because I'm pushing my body hard these days with long hours and little sleep. Thank You for blessing me with excellent support staff at work. I pray that I am an excellent, Godly employer and that I am able to motivate and inspire my employees to give their best effort when helping me. Lord I know that You don't care what kind of occupation I'm involved in. You just care that I do the absolute best I can and that I do it all for Your Glory. Well, that's what I strive for my King. Everything I have is of You or from You. Nothing I have has been accomplished by myself alone. I am nothing with out You, Jesus.

And this morning I give You all the thanks and praise and adoration You are due. You are King of Kings and Lord of Lords, and I love You, Father. I give this day to You, Jesus. And in Your Holy Name I pray, AMEN.

No comments: