Sunday, June 18, 2006

Prayer for Fathers

Father's Day 2006.... My earthly father (Gordon D. Chadwell) has been gone for 6 years. He passed away in 2000. It's painful and difficult to recall memories of my father. In fact, it's so hurtful that I try to not think about that relationship too much. You see, we did not really have much of a relationship growing up. Dad worked a lot. I didn't see him too much. For the most part it was unremarkable. but when the family did have interaction with him it wasn't always pleasant. He and mom didn't get along very well and sadly the most vivid memory of my childhood years is of mom and dad fighting. Sadly, I can't recall any bonding, or any special moments with my dad. -Not One...

Dad did do a good job of teaching me one thing, though. He showed me what a life without Christ looks like.

One of my big regrets is that I didn't spend more time trying to witness to my dad after I became saved. I see that as one of my greatest failures. But I know that God forgives me and I must forgive myself. And now I have not one chance, but TWO opportunities to be the best dad I can be...! I Praise the Lord for my dad because without him I would not be here now. But I also praise the Lord that I am not the father my dad was.


Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord God, thank you for the life I had growing up and the relationship I had with my dad. It wasn't good, but it was what it was and I learned a lot from it. Indeed, as I reflect back now I see that I am still learning from it.

I thank You for the blessing of Connor and my chance to be his step dad. Father God I pray that I can be just what he needs. I'm sure he is reflecting on his dad today too and it may be painful for him because he had a great relationship with his dad and I can only imagine how much he misses him.


Lord I thank You too, for baby Elijah. I cherish every moment with that sweet little boy and love him so much... I want to be the godly father and role model both Connor and Elijah desperately need to make it in this world.

And Lord Jesus I love You, too. Thank You for my life and the lives of my sons. Thank You for being the ultimate role model of a loving, kind and gentle father. I praise You, my King. And Father God I lift up fathers everywhere today. I pray especially for Daddy's in the world that don't know You the way I do. And I pray that they would know You before it's too late.

In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.


No comments: