Thursday, July 06, 2006

To Know Him and to Make Him Known

Pastor Dave at Church used that phrase in his new year's sermon back in January this year. It's really stuck with me and impacted me greatly. Lately I've been focusing on the 'To know Him' aspect of that phrase. I figure that I can't make Him known if I don't really know him that well. Although I seem to be inconsistent in my walk, I'm pressing on none the less...!

You'll notice that I've taken a few days off from my prayer journal. This inconsistency is what I want to address in my discussion today. I've addressed this before but it continues to be on my heart so here it is...

Question: How can I be 'on fire' for Jesus one day and luke-warm the next...?

Answer: Spiritual attack.

I allow myself to get distracted, or I get busy focusing on non kingdom minded actions and activities. I firmly believe that everyone who commits his or her life to Christ is going to experience spiritual warfare. Indeed, they have already undergone a certain degree of spiritual warfare to get the point of accepting Christ. And then that's when the enemy starts to bring in the heavy artillery. The more one tries to know Him and make Him known the more the enemy digs in.

How can one combat this spiritual Warfare...?

Dr Charles Stanley spoke about the importance of solitude and how it impacts one's walk with God. Solitude is quiet time with God. It's not studying scripture, it's not praying. It's alone time with God. It's listening for that still small voice. In my conversations with God it's often one-sided with me doing all the talking. I need to start listening more. I need solitude. I desperately need a regular dose of solitude. Monica does too.

The past few days have been rough. Everyone has been sick with a bad sore throat. It's 4:17 AM and the house is finally quiet. Baby Elijah has been very restless. I finally got him to go to sleep about 30 minutes ago and I pray he sleeps for a good chunk of time so Monica can rest, also. Me...? I can't rest. There's a physical restlessness and a spiritual restlessness within me right now.

I haven't slept much at all the past 48 hours. But I've used this time well to think about the things of God. That's one positve aspect of being physically sick. It forces you to slow down. It forces you to alter your normal routine. That's a good thing if your routine is out of control. Perhaps that is why I am sick.


I think God is trying to get my attention once again. More tomorrow...!

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord I'm seeking You. I'm struggling. I need healing of every kind. I want to draw closer to you, Lord. Help me. Lift me up. Shield me from this spiritual attack. Lord You are my rock. You are my Redeemer and Champion. I want to know You more and make You known to those around me.

Father God I love You and I give this day to you. I rest in You, my King. And I pray these things in Jesus' name,

Amen


No comments: