Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Thankful for Tennis

It's only a game. But God has spoken to me and ministered to me through tennis. -And He still does today, too...

Tennis has been special to me ever since I was a little boy growing up in the small town of Bay City, Texas. There were countless kind and caring adults in the Bay City community who played tennis back in the early 1980's when I got my start. There was a local community tennis association for our town. The Bay City Tennis Association hosted regular events that provided for interaction between 'established' players and 'up and comers' like me.

No 'one' particular person witnessed to me about Jesus Christ at that time. But looking back I can remember how many of them were a perfect example of Jesus' hands and feet. It sure means a lot to a young person when an adult goes out of their way to interact with them on an adult level through encouraging conversation and just through time spent playing a game.

I am thankful for tennis. It truly is a sport for a lifetime.

Now that I'm grown up I have an opportunity to give back what tennis has given me. Now it's my turn to be that encouraging and patient adult. It is a role that I truly believe that God has called me to fill.

The reason for this post is because last night I attended an organizational meeting to form a local community tennis association in the area that my family has moved to. It's not far from where I grew up. As the fond memories of playing tennis in my childhood came flooding back to me I realize that God has been preparing me for what I do now back from the very start when I was a kid. Oh, God is Good...!

We can't always figure out what the end result will be, but we can rest assured that God is REAL. And He's in control of our lives. He has a Master Plan. And here's the point of my devotional this morning: We don't have to worry about things. We just need to let God be God. We just need to be faithful to Him and trust God for everything else. -Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God...

Dear Heavenly Father,

God You are so awesome. You have been watching over me since before I even had a relationship with You. That's amazing. Thank you for sending so many positive role models into my life as a young boy and young man. Thank You for tennis, the vehicle through which I have been shaped and molded.

Lord thank You for this current group of individuals whom I have recently become associated with who love tennis like I do and want to leave a rich legacy behind for our children and those who come after us. Father God I ask blessings on this newly formed Brazoria County Tennis Association. I pray that it develops into an organization that truly serves the community and grows the game of tennis here in our area.

Father God thanks for calling me to be a coach. Teaching is such a precious gift. I recognize what an impact my words and attitude can have on the individuals I work with, both young and old. Lord help me to realize my potential as a coach.

Help me to be your hands and feet. I want to reach people for you, Jesus. And Lord I recognize what a tremendous work you're performing in me right now. Keep transforming my heart, Jesus. Help me to rely on You 100 % for everything. Dr Stanley is always reminding us to ...Trust in God and leave all the consequences to Him... Well I do trust in You, Jesus.

I trust in You to bless my finances. I trust in You to bless my time management. I trust in You, Lord to sell our house in Houston. I trust in You to lead me, Lord.

Lord Jesus. I Trust in You. I have Faith in You. You are my Rock. You are The Source of my Strength. You are My Strong Tower, Jesus.

I love You, Lord. And I consecrate this day and set it aside for You, Lord. Thank You Father for another opportunity to impact the world for You. Everything I do today Lord is for Your Glory.

I lift up my Family, Friends, My community... I give them all to you, Jesus. And I pray these things with a joyful and thankful heart in the precious name of Jesus Christ My Savior, Amen.

No comments: