Monday, September 18, 2006

Waiting On God's Timing

Haven't you ever heard the phrase 'Timing is everything...' ? I talk about timing every day in my tennis classes. To hit a ball correctly one must 'time' several elements just right. If the point of contact on a tennis ball is to early or too late the desired result will not be achieved.

Dr Charles Stanley of First Baptist Church in Atlanta, Georgia had some interesting remarks about timing recently and he illustrated it with scripture...

Psalm 27:14 says, "Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; yes, wait for the Lord." Most of God's greatest servants had to learn to wait on His timing. When we think of waiting, we often think of having to put on hold what we want immediately. Paul wanted to take the Gospel into Macedonia, but the Holy Spirit blocked him from entering that region. (Acts 16:9-10) We are never given the reason why God blocked Paul. However, we do know that years later, he did preach in parts of this region and saw many come to Christ.

God knows exactly where and when you need to do what He has called you to do. He knows when it is right for you to move forward in a given area. Getting ahead of Him only leads to frustration and fear. One of the ways we do move ahead of God is in rushing to meet our own needs. Learn to be patient and wait on God's timing. His goodness is worth the additional time He may require of you. When you rush ahead of God, you miss all the challenges and blessings He places along your path. You can wait and be blessed or move ahead of Him and risk disappointment.

If you feel as though you already have gotten ahead of God, go immediately to Him in prayer. Confess your lack of trust. Ask Him to forgive you and encourage you in the way you should go from this point on.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank You Lord for amazing witness of Dr Charles Stanley. Father, I do confess that I am not always as patient as I should be. Sometimes I procrastinate and wait too long and sometimes I act in haste. Help me to wait on You a little bit better. Help me to be in tune with Your perfect timing.

Father God, I do put the sale of our house in Houston in Your hands. And I do give some difficult relationship issues to You. Oh I realize they are difficult only for me, but not You, my King. You are capable of all things. You are a strong and Mighty God.

Thank You Jesus for my wife, Monica. She has been a rock to me. She has been an inspiration. I lift her up to You, dear Lord. Thank You for her witness.

Lord Jesus I thank you for First Baptist West Columbia. Father God there is a lot going on at that Church. I feel that you are about to move in that church in a mighty way. Show me Father what my role should be in all this. Is it serving in the music ministry, the youth ministry, or a combination of both...? Is there another area You'd like for me to serve in...? A men's ministry, perhaps...?

Should I start an intercessory prayer ministry for this church like I tried to do at Church in the Heights...?

Father God I have all these questions. The answers are not clear to me. I pray for clarity. I pray for clearness of purpose, vision. But Lord I will be patient. I will keep praying. I will be faithful. You are more than faithful, Jesus. You constantly exceed my expectations.

Lord You are good. Thank You Jesus for Your Gift of Eternal Salvation. I know it's free to me, but it wasn't inexpensive. Thank you Lord. Thank You for Life Everlasting.

I pray these things in Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: