Thursday, October 05, 2006

Psalm 34:8

A person cannot deny the Lord and still live successfully. Mankind was created to acknowledge God and share a relationship with Him. When someone chooses to ignore the truth of His existence or His sovereignty, he or she begins a downward slide. It’s a choice which ends with a hardened heart and eternal separation from a loving Father.

God gives everyone the capacity to understand Him and the free will to choose whether to pursue that knowledge. The truth of His existence is revealed in nature and written into every person’s conscience. However, many people ignore reality because it interferes with their preferred lifestyle. Instead, they chase false philosophies, which are usually mixed with just enough truth to make them believable to the inexperienced.

Any “truth” crafted by man is foolishness. A mind that has rejected the fact of a sovereign Lord cannot see its error. It has slipped from intelligence—an inherent knowledge of God—to willful ignorance. In this state, even when all evidence points to the truth, a person can still convince him- or herself that the opposite is right.

All the denial and atheistic arguments in the world will not change what is real. Jehovah is God. Jesus Christ is His Son. God created you to love, obey, and honor Him. If you resist the truth, you choose a life of darkness and willful ignorance. The choice is yours to make.

God invites you to see if He is better than all that the world has to offer. Psalm 34:8 challenges us to “taste and see that the Lord is good.” Will you taste and see?


That was today's devotional from Dr Stanley's website. There are so many great spiritual nuggets in that text that I don't know where to start... In fact, I think I may have to stay on this devotional for a day or two to cover everything I believe God is revealing to me in this message. I keep reading it over and over and saying wow... and oh... and yes, that's me...! It's difficult to even know where to begin to discuss this devotional. There are many, many, paths I could take for discussion.

Let me start by stating that I am concerned about 'becoming deceived'. I know for a fact that I've been deceived by a false religeon or teacher in the past. And right now I'm going through a very dry spiritual time in my life. I'm not involved in an active bible study. I'm not reading my bible regularly. I'm continuing to let 'busyness' control my life.

Although many passages of Dr Stanley's message speak to me this morning, the final paragraph that quotes Psalm 34:8 particulary convict me. I DO want to taste and see that the Lord is Good....

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord You are Good. And I want to know You more, Father. I want to glorify You more. Father God, please give me a hunger and thirst for Your word. Help me to better prioritize my day to include daily study of divine scripture. I've been slipping for some time. It's time to stop the slide.

Thank you for my sweet wife who stays dilligent in her studies. She is an inspiration, Lord. I lift her up today and pray blessings upon her busy schedule as well.

Lord Jesus, thank You for great bible teachers like Dr Stanley. There is no doubt that he teaches the Truth. And we need the Truth more than any other time in history right now. This is such a wicked age we live in.

But Lord I know we are called to be in the world but not of it. Lord Jesus, I ask You right this second to strip away any pride or selfish motives that might hinder my walk or my witness. Help me to be kind, gentle, and humble.

Lord I love you. And I want my friends and family to taste and see that You are good. What ever happens Lord please don't let me become a hindrance or stumbling block to someone else's walk.

Father God, today I'm praying for me. I need You, Jesus. Thank You Lord for hearing my prayer. I claim victory in You Jesus. And I pray these things in the power of Your precious, holy name, Amen.





No comments: