Thursday, January 11, 2007

One Encounter at a Time...

Finding Sanity Amidst The Insanity...

I was visiting with a fellow church member last night after choir practice. He is the manager of a large business in town and we were discussing how difficult it is to hire good employees. He said that he usually has to interview 10-15 people before he will find ONE that might have a good enough work ethic to stay employed. Isn't that a sad state of affairs?

Of those fourteen that did not get hired, I think they must work at many of the other businesses I frequent because it seems to me that customer service just about everywhere is at an all time low. You can tell at the checkout stand when the checker won't have eye contact with you or even speak to you. Or you ask some one at a department store for assistance and they aren't knowledgeable and don't even appear to care. How about going out to dinner and getting a lousy server who messes up your order, hardly ever comes to check on you, yet you observe them hanging out in the back of the restaurant visiting with other wait staff while you are dying of thirst and need a fork and napkin....?

Sigh.... I'm getting worked up just thinking about it. But that's not the correct response. I used to get really irritated with situations like that. But as I have been writing this article I just came to the realization that I am being faced with witnessing opportunities that I am not acting on.

What can we do about poor customer service...? How can we make a difference...?

Well, we can pray, of course. Right then and there in the midst of the chaos we can pray. And we can be positive, instead of negative. I'm a firm believer in positive reinforcement. Visibly becoming angry with someone might change their behavior but it won't change their heart for the better.

An authentic Christian is going to exhibit fruits of the spirit: love, kindness, gentleness, patience, understanding, encouragement, etc... An authentic Christian is, well... -they are Christ-Like...!

True, it is recorded that Jesus did get angry one time in the temple. But how many other times did he exhibit compassion for His fellow man...?

One encounter at a time is how a Christian can effect change. And we may not change the world. But if we can change a life, and if we can save one soul, then we've accomplished something.

We can give in to the world. We can get angry at the incompetence of others and let it that snuff out our light. Or we can take a stand, claiming sanity amidst the insanity and staying true to our mission: to go out into the world and make disciples of all men. We can do that. We MUST do that.

Again, we might not change the world, but we might affect a life or two.

One time Mother Theresa was being interviewed and she was asked how can she stand to spend all her time amongst the sick and dying of Calcutta when it appeared that her presence was not making much of a difference? She responded that God had not called her to be 'successful', but to be FAITHFUL.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord thank You for great lives of faith like Mother Theresa. Thank You for everyday heroes in my own little sphere of existence. Thank You for those who do care and show it in the way they live and conduct themselves. These people impact others in a powerful way every day. These people are right there in the moment, not letting their mind wander. They are paying attention. They are thoughtful and sincere. They care about being the best they can be at what ever they are doing. Help me to be like that, at all times, Lord.

I want to be part of the solution, the cure. I don't want to be swallowed up by the cancer of anger and apathy of those who don't take pride in themselves, their family, or their church. (if they have one.)

Divine Master, help me to be the kind of person that Saint Frances prayed to be. Lord, make me a channel of Your peace. Father God. I love You. And I recognize that all good things come from You. My life is nothing a part from You, Lord.

Raise me up, Lift me up, Jesus. Help me to be more like You. Help me to recognize the God ordained encounters in my life and to react and respond to adverse conditions appropriately.

You are my Awesome Savior, my precious Redeemer. You are my Rock. Thank You for my wonderful family. Thank You for my every day opportunities to serve You, Lord.

Lord Jesus I pray these things in the power of Your holy name, Amen.

No comments: