Monday, January 15, 2007

Prayer for the Homeless

The weather the next few days is going to be miserable. When Monica and I lived inside the loop around the Montrose area of Houston we came across many homeless people every day. This has to be a particularly troublesome time of year for someone who does not have their own residence. So today I lift up the homeless everywhere, but especially here in Houston where it's cold and damp right now.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord right now I am warm, dry, well fed, and comfortable laying on a couch while I enjoy a children's show on television with my precious baby son. But Father I know of many individuals who are literally 'out in the cold' facing the elements, hunger, isolation, and a day to day, moment to moment existence.

Father God I lift up a homeless man named Johnny and a homeless woman named Ziola specifically. Since we moved from Montrose we have lost touch with them. I pray for their physical needs but I also pray for their spiritual needs, Lord. And Father I lift up others who find themselves in the same situation as Johnny and Ziola. I pray that someone shows them compassion. I pray for their well being, Lord.

I am no better than them just because I live a more affluent life-style. Lord Jesus You died for all of us, everyone. Lord You said that the way we treat the least of our brothers and sisters then that is the way we are treating You.

Father, forgive me for those times when I did not help my fellow man. For those times when I drove on and did not engage myself. Lord today I stand in the gap for the homeless. Bless them Lord. And bless those who do try to make a difference and care for this special population.

Father God I love You. I give this day to You Lord. Thank You for blessing me so abundantly. Lord I give You all the glory for my success. I am nothing with out You, my King.

And I pray these things in Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: