Tuesday, January 16, 2007

One Reason God Gave Us Children

Proverbs 3:11-12 says 'Do not despise chastening of the Lord....For Whom the Lord loves he corrects, Just as a father the son in whom he delights.'

God gave us children so that we would teach them and bring them up in His ways.

Indeed, Solomon's Proverbs three is basically a manual of guidance for the young. The verse above really jumped out at me in my study this morning. What first caught my eye is the part about a Father delighting in his son.

I began thinking of my relationship with Elijah. I hadn't previously thought about it in these terms but I DO delight in that little boy. And although I haven't had to administer very much discipline to him at this point in his life I certainly won't hesitate when the time comes because I do love him that much. And the bible says the Lord loves us the same way. WE are HIS children. And that we should not get discouraged when the Lord 'chastens' us.

Wow... If I didn't have kids I wouldn't have the complete understanding of that verse that I do now. It's hard to believe that in my younger days I was adamantly opposed to having children of my own.... I certainly have a different perspective now.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord thank You for making Your love for me love more clear through my understanding of my love for my own children. You are amazing. You are an awesome God. You are my holy Father. It is my desire that You do delight in me as I delight in Elijah.

Father God I'm sure that Brian delighted in Connor as I delight in Elijah. Lord I want to lift up my relationship with Connor to You this morning. And I lift Connor up to You, my King. He's growing up without his earthly daddy, and I can never replace Brian. But Lord I am here for Connor and I need Your help to be the best step dad I can be.

Lord our relationship needs You. This family needs You. THE ENTIRE WORLD NEEDS YOU, FOR THAT MATTER... But Father I want to have a better relationship with Connor. I don't need to be his best friend, but I need to be more to him than I currently am. And I believe that You require more of me than I'm currently giving to that situation.

Father God I love You. And I want to do Your will and be right in the middle of Your will for my life and the life of this family. Lord I can't do that on my own.

I need you Jesus, to come in and rescue me. Today I choose to live my life completely for You, my Worthy King...! And I give You the Glory for my successes and yes, even my failures because I know that when You chasten its only because You love me . Thank you, Lord. Thank you Jesus. And I pray these things in the power and glory and might of Your precious, holy name, Amen.


No comments: