Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Taking Spiritual Inventory

Yesterday I succumbed to busyness. It actually started the day before yesterday. (Monday) I worked late at the tennis center, then I stayed up late watching the Australian Open and just scanning the channels watching mindless television while answering email from my laptop. I didn't go to bed until after midnight. As a result, I had a difficult time getting up early for my quiet time with the Lord Tuesday morning. Since I had to be at work early yesterday because there was a tournament scheduled at my club, I hurried off to work without even praying. Although the tournament ended up getting rained out, the day just sort of got away from me after that.

I just stayed busy the rest of the day. Basically I blew off God and did my own thing.

So, let me describe a relationship for you. Imagine if you had a good friend, a best friend let's say. And you two were accustomed to getting together every morning for coffee at the local coffee shop. You might even be accustomed to calling each other through out the day, bouncing ideas off each other, staying in touch.... (these kinds of relationships do exist) Then one morning your best friend doesn't show up, doesn't call, nothing. At first you'd be worried about them. They should have at least called, right...? Then you find out later that they were just too busy to contact you.

How would that make you feel...? Less important than you thought you were, I'll bet.... I think your feelings would be hurt. You might even begin to wonder about the sincerity of your friendship.

That's where I'm at this morning. I know I've hurt God's feelings and I feel rotten about it. Today's that next day at the coffee shop. I can tell that God is bummed out with me. And I've got to try to explain how sorry I am.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord I am so sorry for having offended thee. I totally mis-managed my time yesterday. I did not mean too, but that doesn't excuse my transgression. I wouldn't have been too busy for Elijah or Monica. So why would I be too busy for You, my King...? My creator. The Maker of the universe, The Author of time, itself...?

Father forgive me. I'm definitely slipping. I do try to be disciplined and set aside time for you throughout the day, every day. But I know I'm not doing enough. I feel that conviction this morning. I could be doing more. I should be doing more... And Lord, by Your Grace I WILL do more.

I love You, Father. I'm going to make yesterday up to You, I promise. I want to change. But Lord I know I can't change on my own. Lord, I'm asking You, I'm begging You to help me. I need You Jesus. Please come to my rescue.

Free me from the yolk of busyness. Free me from the bondage of being over weight. Lord help me take my thought life captive and submit it totally to You. Father I want to be right in the middle of Your divine will for my life. I want to serve You, my King...!

Lord I am so undeserving of any blessings. Yet I know I am blessed far greater than a good majority of the world. I Thank You Jesus. And I praise You and bless Your holy name.

Amen.


No comments: