Saturday, March 31, 2007

Sam's Top Four Goals: A Self Examination.

I'm taking spiritual inventory today. It's not going to be pretty.

I have a Framed List on my desk at home of my top four goals in life. This is sort of my life 'mission statement'. These are the things that were most important to Coach Sam dating back to a little over three and a half years ago. This list is supposed to define me. I made this list right after Monica and I got married in June, 2003. Here's my list and the grade I'm giving myself as of today, March 31, 2007.

#4. -Excel in my career. I want to be the best coach, pro, manager, and businessman I can be.

-This is a good goal. In order of importance it's number four on my list. I think I'm on target for this goal. I've always strived to be the best I could be at what ever task it was that I was undertaking. I've always been passionate about tennis. I'd give myself a "B" in this category.

#3. -Achieve the peak physical fitness I had in my early 20's. I'd like to get my weight down to 160-70 lbs.

-This is another good goal. -And one that I absolutely need to do better on. Back when I got married I weighed in the neighborhood of 225 lbs. My weight yesterday morning was 232 pounds, and that was DOWN from 240 lbs about three weeks ago...! Clearly, I've made no headway towards achieving that goal. I'm giving myself an 'F' in this category and would define this as an urgent, life or death situation!

# 2. -Be a spiritual leader to my family.

-Now we're getting down to my top two goals. The two things That I feel should be the most important on my list. Am I the spiritual leader in my family...? Sometimes. But not nearly enough. Not that I'm in any kind of 'spiritual competition', but my wife has definitely been outshining me lately. I've really been led more by her in recent months. Honestly, I feel my spiritual life has been under a tremendous attack lately. I thank God daily for my sweet wife. She is truly heaven sent...! But, I'm digressing here. This commentary is supposed to be about me. I'm not leading the way I should. I give myself a 'D' in this category.

'D' is for DEFINITELY need improvement...!

#1. Grow in my faith and personal relationship with the Lord.

-This is what's supposed to be my NUMBER ONE priority. Unfortunately, I'm off my mark here, too. I have grown 'SOME' spiritually since I got married, but if growing in my faith really is my number one life priority then I should be a lot farther along than I am.

I give myself a 'C' on this one... The 'C' stands for I CAN do better...!

If you average my grades, I'm below a 'C' average. Sigh... I've got to do something different. What I am doing is not working. Monica's in a similar circumstance, although I think she's doing better than I am spiritually...

Let me stress that I don't feel my wife and I are in any kind of spiritual competition, but we do try to encourage and motivate each other in the Lord. She's a little run down right now, too. So this morning I'm just going to give thanks and praise for my many blessings, and lift her and myself up in prayer.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Lord, I recognize that you have given me a great life. I live in the greatest country in the world. I have all I really want and need materially. I have a great wife and a wonderful family. Most importantly, I have OPPORTUNITY. I can do anything I want and be anything I want to be.

Father God, I want to be right in the center of Your will for my life and I want my family to be right in the center of your will, too. Lord as far as my family goes, it starts with me. I've got to step it up.

Help me to be the Leader You have called me to be. I know that starts with my personal relationship with You. I've got to re-prioritize. I've got to re-proportion the hours in my day to reflect what's MOST important to me. And that's YOU.

YOU are my King. I surrendered my life to YOU many years ago. But I've wasted too much time since I first found YOU. Father God, help me to make the most of what little time I might have left. I want to truly lead my wife and family. I love you Lord, and I love my family. I want to honor You by taking care of them the BEST I can, and I know that means much more than just providing for their physical needs....

Thank You Lord for my sweet precious wife. Help me to be more of a help to her. Help me to always be an inspiration and an encouragement to her. Lord I pray many blessings on Monica this morning.

And lastly Dear Father, I lift up Connor and Elijah to You. I realize that my greatest contribution to the world, and my greatest tribute to You is to raise these boys up to be Godly men. Indeed, I count that as one of my greatest responsibilities. That being recognized, I intend to work harder on my relationship with You, my King.

I love You, Jesus. I give today to You. I humble myself, Lord. I totally submit to You. And I pray these things in Jesus' name, Amen.


No comments: